Gloria Charles, mother of one of the five T&T detainees locked up in a Venezuelan jail, said that she will be taking her son for medical treatment as soon as he returns as he developed a kidney infection during his two years and seven months detention.
On Saturday, a Venezuelan judge found the men guilty on espionage charges but ordered their release based on time served.
"I can't wait to see my son but he is very sick. The doctors there were only taking his pressure, he is not being treated for the kidney problem he developed while there and the bad toothache he is experiencing," Gloria said in a telephone interview yesterday. The wives of the other men also hoped for their speedy return home.
Charles along with Dominic Pitilal, Asim Luqman, Andre Battersby and Leslie Daisely, were detained in Venezuela on March 19 2014 and later charged with terrorism offences. The men claimed the had gone to Caracas to seek visas for the annual Hajj pilgrimage, in Saudi Arabia.
At recent talks in May between T&T and Venezuelan leaders, Government officials asked that the matter be expedited during discussions on repatriation of people detained in each country on immigration issues.
Soon after the talks, the terrorism charges against the five were dropped but replaced with charges concerning intent to commit espionage and to comment a crime.
National Security Minister Edmund Dillon on Saturday confirmed that the five T&T men are being released and sent home after serving time. Dillon via a statement said the final hearing ended with a verdict and sentencing at 1.30 am on Saturday.
"The judge passed a guilty verdict and a sentence of two years, six months and 25 days was given." Dillon said that was equivalent to the length of time they had been detained.
"The judge ruled that they have already served time and are now free. As such they will now be processed and deported to Piarco at the earliest opportunity," Dillon reportedly said.