The Police Service is expressing concern at the continuous rise of vehicle theft as Southern Division officers have reported an increase in SUVs and pick-up trucks being stolen from women.
You are here
Venezuelan papers threatened by newsprint shortage
CARACAS—Venezuela’s oldest newspaper is scrambling for newsprint as worsening shortages threaten to take several publications out of circulation in the coming weeks. While newspapers have been beset for years by currency controls that make it difficult to import supplies, the situation has turned critical in recent weeks as reserves of newsprint have fallen to an all-time low, says the Venezuelan Press Block, which represents the nation’s broadsheets.
Journalists accuse the government of restricting access to newsprint to censor newspapers, one of the last bastions of government criticism after a crackdown on radio and TV stations in recent years. “They want to silence us,” El Impulso, Venezuela’s oldest newspaper, wrote in a Jan. 5 front-page headline. The Barquisimeto-based newspaper warns that it may have to halt its presses in three weeks unless it receives a delivery of newsprint.
Authorities didn’t comment on the paper shortage. But the government has previously denied its policies are strangling press freedom, and has instead launched probes into larger papers favoured by the opposition for possible hoarding of supplies as part of an “economic war” to destabilise the government. At the end of last year, it said it would directly supply 5,000 metric tons of newsprint for 83 regional papers, enough to guarantee circulation until March.
But El Impulso, which has been publishing for 110 years, has been waiting for months for the state agency that manages the country’s dwindling supply of dollars to process its request to import newsprint. “We don’t know what’s going to happen,” said Jose Angel Ocanto, the paper’s chief editor. El Impulso is not alone in feeling the squeeze.
El Correo del Caroni reduced its page count to extend supplies that it says will run out in two weeks. Caracas-based El Nacional, one of the nation’s largest newspapers, has enough paper to continue publishing for only one month, says its president and editor Miguel Henrique Otero. And its main rival, El Universal, says it can hold out for just six weeks. The situation is most dire among smaller papers outside the capital, several of which have been forced to interrupt printing or cut back on coverage over the past year.
The Inter American Press Association this week said it holds President Nicolas Maduro’s government “directly responsible” for bringing about the shutdown of El Impulso and other print media for their critical editorial stance.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.
Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.
User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.