The office of Chief Justice Ivor Archie remained silent yesterday on just how he was able to accumulate more than nine months vacation leave, which runs contrary to the regulations governing...
You are here
Labidco lands contract to repair Rowan Gorilla III
The world famous Rowan Gorilla III, which has travelled the globe drilling in oil and gas fields, has stopped in La Brea for repairs, Labdico Port Services managing director Deo Gosine said. The largest tenant at the National Energy Company (NEC) Industrial Estate in La Brea, Labidco offers a new deepwater port and logistic facility, commercial port services, warehousing and a shore base for oil and gas companies.
“On January 29, history was made in La Brea when Rowan Companies plc’s Jackup Drill Ship, Gorilla III, berthed at Labidco Port Services Limited Port Facilities to undergo repairs for 90 days. The 12,000-tonne rig is 300 feet long and has 504 feet legs arid is capable of drilling in 365 feet deep water. This majestic structure can be seen from San Fernando and overshadows the La Brea skyline. It should be noted that this Rig was able to spud the well with 150 Million barrels of oil for Trinity Offshore off the coast of Galeota recently,” Gosine said. He added that “the joint venture partnership between Labidco Port Services Ltd of Trinidad and HS Ocean Group (HSOG) of United Kingdom was able to secure a contract from Rowan Companies (of Houston) for the repair of their Jackup Drill Ship, Gorilla Ill, to be undertaken in La Brea.”
Up to press time, Gosine had not responded to theT&T Guardian’s queries about the value of the contract. Labidco is jointly owned by the National Gas Company of T&T (NGC), which holds 83 per cent, and the NEC which holds the remaining 17 per cent. Rowan Companies announced in September last year that it had been awarded a US$160,000 per day contract to drill for four oil and gas companies in T&T. Rowan had said that among “the notable events” in its fleet status report was that Rowan Gorilla III was “awarded a multi-well contract with a rig share group that includes EOG Resources, Trinity Exploration and Production plc, Repsol and Centrica, estimated at one year commencing mid-October 2013 at US$160,000 per day, above its previous day rate of US$145,000.”
“The Gorilla III project will see a range of works being undertaken within the 90 days out of service. One of the sizable scopes is the inspection, repair and refurbishment of the spud cans, while the platform is supported by a semi-submersible ‘crotch’ barge alongside. This approach allows underwater works to be completed without the use of the traditional dry dock,” said Gosine.
“During this repair, more than 200 skilled T&T nationals, from many of the major offshore contractors in T&T will be employed,” he added.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.
Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.
User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.