The T&T Coast Guard and Air Guard were yesterday engaged in a search for a southern-based pirogue with a group of about eight aboard—including two women—which went missing since last Friday whi
You are here
Move to contain J’Ouvert on one route
Port-of-Spain mayor Raymond Tim Kee says efforts will be made to confine J’Ouvert bands to their respective routes. He was speaking at a press conference at his office, City Hall, Port-of-Spain, yesterday. “One of the things we are discussing was trying to confine J’Ouvert bands to certain areas and not just go wherever they feel. We have to look at the main arteries like Tragarete Road and Ariapita Avenue,” Tim Kee added.
He said the perennial concerns of Woodbrook residents about their walls being smeared with paint, mud and other substances and damage to property were also being addressed. “With respect to the defacing of properties, that is something which must be addressed and something has to be done about that as well. “It is not fair for residents to wake up and see their properties defaced,” Tim Kee added.
On the route of the children’s Carnival, he said it remained the same as last year’s. Saying there was “apparently still some sense of doubt,” Tim Kee added: “I can’t understand why. “Our decision was, the mas should proceed from Independence Square, South Quay, straight to the Savannah.” Also speaking was former Port-of-Spain mayor Murchison Brown, who is Tim Kee’s adviser. Brown said the first point of judging for children’s Carnival was at downtown Port-of-Spain.
“History will show that from the very beginning of that parade, the Downtown Carnival Committee thought that the children should be judged on their way to the Savannah. This year the bands are free to travel straight up Frederick Street,” Brown said. On a proposal made by previous mayor Louis Lee Sing to ban glass bottles in the city during Carnival, Tim Kee said that was not being considered. “I do not know that is law,” he added.