Whether Carnival 2015 is cancelled or not depends on the exponential rise in Ebola over the next month says Health Minister Fuad Khan. He was speaking at a forum on Carnival 2015 and Ebola at the S
You are here
Pan Elders dethrones NLCB Buccooneers with 284 pts
Pan Elders dethroned defending champion NLCB Buccooneers, of Tobago, in the medium band category at the National Panorama final at the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain on Saturday night. The band scored 284 points for its rendition of the Clive Bradley composition All Ah We is One Family, arranged by Duvone Stewart. The band, which claimed a $600,000 first prize, also had the singer of the selection, Lord Nelson (Robert Nelson), make a cameo appearance during its presentation.
Buccooneers performed David Rudder’s Madness arranged by Seion Gomez and third place went to Courts Sound Specialists of Laventille, which received 277 points for Ken “Professor” Philmore’s arrangement of Poison, composed by Russell Cadogan. In the large band category, a single point was all that allowed Petrotrin Phase II Pan Groove to earn the $1 million prize, registering a seventh victory and successfully defending its title.
Appearing in position ten among the 11 finalists and playing a musically-rich rendition of Jump High, composed and arranged by Len “Boogsie” Sharpe, the defending champion scored 287 points to hold off a strong challenge from Neal and Massy Trinidad All Stars, which accumulated 286 points for its scintillating playing of Excitement, composed by Clive Telemaque and arranged by Leon “Smooth” Edwards.
Taking third place with a crowd-pleasing arrangement by Duvone Stewart of The Original De Fosto Himself’s (Winston Scarborough) In De Minor, was the nine-time Panorama champion BP Renegades. Ten-time winner Witco Desperadoes placed fourth with 281 points doing SuperBlue’s (Austin Lyons) 2014 composition Spankin, arranged by Robert Greenidge. Fifth place went to Republic Bank Exodus for its rendition of Pan is Carnival, composed by Pelham Goddard and Alvin Daniell, and arranged by Goddard.
PCS Nitrogen Silver Stars scored 274 points to place sixth doing The Reason composed by Tony Barclay and arranged by Liam Teague. Adjudicating the contests were: Laurel M Broomes-Rogers, Michelle Dowrich, Ezra Joseph, Damian Phillip, Martin Albino and Lorna Conyette (medium bands). Lambert Phillip, Stephanie Power, Roger Sardinha, Lennox London, Jeanette Johnson, and Andy Chichester (large bands).
How they placed
1. Petrotrin Phase Two Pan Groove (Jump High) 287
2. Trinidad All Stars (Excitement) 286
3. BP Renegades (In De Minor) 283
4. Desperadoes (Spankin-A Tribute) 281
5. Exodus (Pan Is Carnival) 279
6. Silver Stars (The Reason) 274
7. Invaders (Jam It) 271
7. Skiffle (The Wedding) 271
9. Fonclaire (Big in de Dance) 267
10. Tropical Angel Harps (In De Minor) 262
10. La Brea Nightingales (Pan in the Atmosphere) 262
1. Pan Elders (Family) 284
2. Buccooneers (Madness) 281
3. Courts Sound Specialists (Poison) 277
4. Katzenjammers (Spankin-A Tribute) 276
5. Couva Joylanders (Free Up) 272
5. Arima Angel Harps (In De Minor) 272
5. Valley Harps (Happiest Man Alive) 272
8. Melodians (The Hammer) 270
9. Dixieland (This is It) 266
9. Xplosion (Dus in dey Face) 266