You are here
Do your job, just do your job officers
I did not ring in the new year on a happy note. If you could see me now, you would know why. By my feet are the remains of a rocket set off in my neighbourhood on Old Year’s night. I picked it up between my car and my gate after it whistled its way to the sky and then plummeted back to earth. I could have sworn that it was some test flight from NASA.
This is the last year I intend to sit here and take this wanton disregard for the law, and I think this should be your last year to be held at ransom by a set of lawbreakers who think they are above the law because they have money to waste on fireworks. Why should good, law-abiding citizens be at the mercy of selfish, inconsiderate, lawbreaking people? For all those people who have told me, “Lighten up, it’s just a little fun, just a means of celebrating,” let me state why setting off fireworks in neighbourhoods is wrong.
1. Setting off fireworks is against the law. That’s not a laughing matter. No one has the right to break the law. You’re not above the law—no matter how much money you have for fancy fireworks.
2. Setting off fireworks in neighbourhoods is dangerous. Other countries—developed countries like the ones we look up to for our 2020 vision—have strict laws about setting off fireworks because people have been injured or died. Are we going to wait for this to happen before we take this crime seriously?
3. All those sparkly fireworks are a fire hazard. I am a law-abiding citizen and I shouldn’t have to worry about people burning down my house because their idea of fun is to break the law.
4. Where’s there’s fireworks there’s smoke. That means fireworks is a form of pollution.
The environment doesn’t appreciate the litter. We don’t need it. It’s unnecessary.
5. Fireworks are serious noise pollution. It is not fun to be scared out of your wits every time they go off.
There are people who have medical conditions that don’t need this fright.
6. Fireworks are animal abuse. We all know how scared dogs and cats get.