Distribution of land to ex-employees of Caroni (1975) Ltd will move from the Land Division of the Ministry of Agriculture to Caroni (1975) Ltd, Agriculture Minister Clarence Rambharat announced on...
You are here
The Devil you know, too
Most days, with the exception of only birth- and paydays, I’m fairly content being myself (and even the birthdays compensate for being a whole year closer to my future absence with presents). Every now and then, though, somebody does something I notice, and I wonder if I’d be happier (or at least less miserable) being him or her. (I’m happy to be female, once I don’t have to fake an attraction to males, and once I don’t have to be a Muslim woman, apart from Malala Yousafzai). Here is the list I considered this week:
• Can avoid every professional and personal obligation, from resigning over Section 34 to protecting own sister from being viewed as a locho jetsetter, and still wag her finger at everyone else for not living up to theirs
• Assured of a damned fine salary until death, no matter how bad or good a job she’s done as PM
• Has lost her party three elections in a row, but hasn’t faced a UNC leadership election
• Almost certain to have a comfortable retirement very soon
• Has to face the imminent Jack-Lash
• Can at this stage do nothing right in the eyes of the neemakaram electorate/Cabinet/party financiers
• Bound to feel crushed when fair-weather friends desert her the moment she loses influence (but this does segue into the advantage of finding out who your real friends are)
• Changed the pop music of his time
• Made talk-singing a style for rock ‘n’ roll, like Johnny Cash for C&W
• Wrote Walk on the Wild Side, most audacious Top Ten song ever, and Sweet Jane, perhaps best guitar riff
• Wasn’t the ugliest Velvet Undergrounder, as long as manager Andy Warhol lived
• Lived to 71, far longer than his excessive youth should have permitted
• Died at 71, far younger than his middle-aged moderation might have allowed
• Not being the ugliest Velvet Undergrounder didn’t make him pretty
• Settled down with a transvestite, instantly turning Walk on the Wild Side into Stroll into Boring Marriage
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.
Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.