You are here

Eat smaller, shorter-lived fish

Monday, August 4, 2014

Toxicologists at the United States FDA and EPA advise that shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish should not be consumed by young children and women who are pregnant, nursing or who want to become pregnant. These are some of the fish high in methylmercury, a toxin that can damage the nervous system. Large, long-living fish bioaccumulate mercury in their tissue. When we eat them, that mercury enters our bodies. In Trinidadian cuisine, shark has the status of a national food. We also eat sumptuous amounts of tinned tuna. 

It is possible that individuals are suffering from low-level mercury poisoning without being aware of it, or what is causing it. The Ministry of Health should make an advisory available educating about the health risk of eating shark and other fish high in mercury. 

Fish can be part of a healthy diet. It’s a good source of protein and low in saturated fat. Two omega-3 fatty acids found in fish, EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), are not made by the human body. We must get them from a dietary source. Omega-3 fatty acids have all kinds of health benefits like reduced chance of coronary disease and rheumatoid arthritis. They can enhance your brainpower, give you better skin, and aid the development of your baby.


User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy