Last Thursday the Guardian highlighted the fact that Chief Justice Ivor Archie admitted to an error made in a press release from the Judiciary about the decision to restart some 53 cases in the...
You are here
Three murders push toll to 191
The murder of Michael Prince has taken the country's murder toll for this year to 191.
The 34-year-old man from Edinburgh village was at the Africa Recreation Ground in Enterprise, Chaguanas on June 5. Police said that around 9:30 pm he got into a physical altercation with another man, who shot him once. Prince fell to the ground. The man then stood over him and shot him again three times. The man escaped by foot.
Prince was known to the police. He was also a suspected drug dealer. Investigations are continuing.
In unrelated incidents, two men were shot dead in Port-of-Spain on Wednesday night and yesterday morning. According to police reports the dead men were identified as Justin Ottley and Atiba Parkinson.
In the first incident, Ottley and Kevin Clarke, of Acono Road, Maracas, St Joseph, were walking along Coronation Street, Laventille, around 8.30 pm when masked men approached and opened fire. Clarke was shot in the leg while Ottley was shot about the body. Both men were taken to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital where Ottley was pronounced dead on arrival. Clarke is warded in a stable condition.
In the second killing, Atiba Parkinson died at the hospital after being shot while seated near a drain in Mentor Alley, Gonzales, just after 9 am yesterday. Police said Parkinson was shot after five men approached and opened fire. He was shot about the body and taken to the hospital where he died hours later.
The murder toll for the same period last year was 164.