A man, who sparked panic among Trincity Mall patrons and employees after making a hoax call warning of an imminent terrorist attack, was arrested by police hours after the incident thanks to the...
You are here
Man killed during PH taxi attack
Barrackpore police have detained three teenagers in connection with the murder of a Princes Town man who was chopped to death during an attempted robbery on Saturday night. Dead is Nathaniel Prince, 22, of Moonan Avenue, 3rd Branch Trace, Princes Town. Yesterday, the man’s father, who only identified himself as Prince, was reluctant to speak to the T&T Guardian at his Princes Town home. He also declined to give a copy of his son’s photograph.
Contacted via phone yesterday, Prince’s mother Vernese Trotman said she could not give any information as she was at the Barrackpore Police Station giving a statement at the time. But Prince’s stepfather Joel Edwards, also of Moonan Avenue, Princes Town, said he was shocked to hear that Prince had been murdered. “He was a cool fella. He was living with his girlfriend. The last time I saw him was about a month ago.
“He did not say if he anyone was harassing him or if he had been threatened. It was a complete shock. I do not know how his mother will take this,” Edwards said. Prince’s neighbours also expressed shock. One woman, who only gave her first name as Dolly, said Prince was well liked in the area. “He was really cool. A quiet fella. He was never troublesome nor did he give anybody trouble.”
Police reports state that around 9.30 to 10.10 pm on Saturday, police were on mobile patrol in Barrackpore district when they were flagged down by a man along Clarke Road, Penal. The 29-year-old “PH-taxi” driver told the police that at 8.45 pm he was plying his motor vehicle, a white Nissan Tiida, for hire when he picked up Prince and three men at St Margaret’s Junction, Claxton Bay. The men asked to be taken to Penal.
The driver told police when they arrived at Penal the men directed him to Clarke Road and along the way one of the backseat passengers ordered him to pull aside. One of the men the locked his neck. Another man then jumped out the backseat and pulled Prince out the front passenger seat and began chopping him about the body. The driver escaped during the attack. The men then dumped Prince at the side of the road and drove off in the car.
An all-points bulletin was issued and the car was intercepted in Moruga. The three suspects were taken into police custody and were being held at the Barrackpore Police Station last night. Prince was found dead at the scene. His throat was reportedly slit. The murder toll stood 220 at up to yesterday. Cpl Ramroop is continuing investigations.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.
Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.