The media was barred from the second court appearance of alleged fraudster Vicky Boodram and the two police officers, accused of facilitating her short-lived escape from prison.
You are here
I would appreciate the opportunity to use your medium to convey my thanks to the people and organisations that were pivotal on my path to my being recommended to receive the Hummingbird Silver Medal for loyal and dedicated service to T&T, during the 2017 National Awards.
I say thank you to:
1) Almighty God for giving me life and strength.
2) My mother, Caroline, a single parent, and after her death, my elder sister Inez Browne Wilson, who took over the responsibility of keeping the family together.
3) Mother Pius, former principal of Providence Intermediate, the school I attended, as well as Sister Mary Aloysuis Ashby, who not only taught me at school, but was also one of my lecturers at the Catholic Teachers College.
4) The Girl Guides and Captain Jessica Smith-Phillips, who supported my every endeavour.
5) Lystra Lewis, who positively impacted my life, instilling in me many of the personality traits which I have been able to pass on to all the students and netballers I was fortunate to teach and coach. Of course, I must make mention of the members of Trinidad and Tobago’s team to the First World Netball Tournament in 1963. Our outstanding performances, made the world aware of the unique Calypso style of play that has been the hallmark of Trinidad and Tobago netball and the root of our many successes. Some of those ladies are still with us and I want to say a personal thank you for your cherished lifelong friendship: Phyllis Pierre-Walker, Judy Francis, Barbara Chandler, Marjorie John, Daphne Roberts, Regina Douglas and Cynthia Craigwell.
6) The Children’s Ministry of the Corpus Christi Roman Catholic Church at Success Village, Laventille and especially, Father Dwight Merrick.
7) The members of CHIPS Netball Club, Coreen David, Cassie Ann James and all those who came together to submit the nomination documents.
8) The “home posse” including Anne Marie Lewis, Patrick and Lemoy Lamming, Karen Brathwaite and Hyron Browne Baptiste and everyone else who assisted in ensuring that I had a memorable day on September 24, 2017.
NATIONAL AWARDEE 2017
HUMMING BIRD SILVER