The parishioners of St Jude Anglican Church in Arima invite public support for their plan to refurbish and restore the church building.
According to a news release from the church, the project, entitled Renaissance, has the full approval of Bishop Claude Berkeley and Fr JL Elder, parish priest.
As part of the fund-raising drive, the Renaissance project will hold a motivational brunch on June 8 at the Bishop East/Trinity College Auditorium, Trincity. A variety of entertainers will perform at the event.
Guest speaker will be the right Rev Leroy Errol Brooks, OBE, bishop of the North Eastern Caribbean and Aruba.
Also featured will be the Signal Hill Alumni Choir, Xavier Strings, St Jude Mixed Choir, Raymond Edwards, saxophonist Kurl-Ann Mc Eachnie and the Annunciation Pan Ensemble.
"It is necessary to preserve the beauty and history of St Jude, described by a living legendary of Arima as a 'sacred edifice'," the release said.
"This 128-year-old building is one of the very few remaining heritage structures in the Borough of Arima."
For tickets, which cost $200, call 667-3656 (parish office) or 791-7591.
History of St JudeAnglican Church
In 1797, the British brought themselves and their religion to Trinidad and the brigade chaplain to the Forces became the first Church of England rector on the island.
The Rev JH Chapman worked on his own until 1823 when the Rev George Cummins, who had come from Barbados for the consecration of Trinity Church, was invited by Sir Ralph Woodford to become assistant minister at Trinity.
In 1824, the Church of England, having been under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Canterbury, became part of the new Diocese of Barbados, which reached from St Kitts down to Trinidad–an area now served by five bishops.
In 1825, Bishop Coleridge accompanied by the governor visited Arima.
In 1844 the Ecclesiastical Ordinance was passed. This divided the Island into 16 parishes. The Parish of St Jude comprised Arima, Guanapo with the settlements of Caura, Turure, La Seiva and the parts of Caroni east of the junction of the Tacarigua and Caura rivers.
In 1884 the foundation stone of the proposed church at Arima was laid by Bishop Coleridge on the Festival of St Simon and St Jude. On December 21, 1885 the Bishop consecrated St Jude Church.
The building of concrete and local wood cost �1,100 of which the Bishop gave half. The first renovation was conducted by Rev HA Anstey, lord bishop of T&T in 1940.
Around 1927, many boys from Arima could not make it to St Mary's or QRC. Rev Merry, priest of St Jude, opened the St Jude College near the church where boys of all religions were accepted.
The college was the only institution providing secondary education in Arima and its environs. St Jude produced a legacy of finely rounded young men who later held prominent positions in businesses and public service.
Prominent students included Irvin Brathwaite, Rex Edwards, Vincent Edwards (elder brother of Julia Edwards).
Merry also encouraged thrift by establishing the Penny Bank. On a Saturday morning many people went to St Jude Parish Hall to participate in the basic banking exercises of deposit or withdrawal.
"It is necessary to preserve the beauty and history of St Jude, described by a living legendary of Arima as a 'sacred edifice,'" the release said.
"This 128-year-old building is one of the very few remaining heritage structures in the Borough of Arima."
