Skipper Denesh Ramdin slammed a century for Central Zone as it romped into the final of the T&T Cricket Board (T&TCB) Senior Interzone Tournament after a massive 184-run win over North in...
You are here
Limes are an integral part of our cuisine. We tend to use them on an almost daily basis for our meat and fish, we use them when making pepper sauces as much as we include them in lip puckering souses.
Fresh lime juice is what gives the “zing” to a Rum Punch, and the coolness to a lime cooler. Lime juice is indeed refreshing, flavourful and very delicious and this makes them an excellent choice as the star ingredient in desserts. There are affordable limes at the markets these days, so buy an ample supply and enjoy them in your cooking!
KEY LIME PIE
2 cups graham crackers or gingersnaps
2 tbsp melted butter
4 eggs, separated, (use the whites for the meringue)
11/2 cups condensed milk
1 tbsp lime zest
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 cup granulated sugar (for the meringue)
Preheat oven to 325F
• In a food processor, process gingersnaps to fine crumbs, add melted butter and process.
Press mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate.• Bake for five minutes until set.• Preheat oven to 350F• With an electric mixer beat yolks until light and fluffy.
• Add condensed milk, lime zest and mix on low speed until combined.• Add lime juice and mix well.• Pour mixture into pre-baked cookie shell and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until the centre of the pie is firm and dry to the touch.• Chill thoroughly until ready for use.
Make the meringue
• Beat the egg whites until frothy, add the cream of tartar, add the sugar gradually and beat until stiff peaks form. • Top the pie and bake until golden, about 10 to 15 minutes, freeze until ready for use. • Serves 6 to 8
TRINI RUM PUNCH
2 cups granulated sugar
4 cups water
3 cups Trinidad dark rum
1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tsp Aromatic bitters
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (less or to taste)
Maraschino cherries to taste
• Place sugar with water in a small saucepan, stir to dissolve, boil for about six to eight minutes on low heat and leave to cool. • Combine cooled syrup with rum, limejuice and bitters, stir in nutmeg.• Refrigerate in a glass jug or bottles until ready for use.• To serve pour over glosses filled with cracked ice.
• Garnish with cherries and more grated nutmeg is needed.
• Makes about ten cups
CHICKEN FOOT SOUSE
2 lbs chicken feet
2 small cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1 hot pepper, thinly sliced with seeds
1 cup lime juice
2 cups water
1 cup finely chopped chadon beni
1/4 cup finely chopped chives
• Wash chicken feet; boil in lightly salted water until tender, about 30 minutes.• Drain and cool.
• Place in a large glass bowl.
• Add onions, pepper, lime juice, water and chadon beni and chives.• Stir well to cover with marinade.
• Cover and let stand at room temperature for three to four hours, stirring to keep all pieces exposed to marinade. • (This recipe can also be used to souse other meats, like pigs’ trotters, and cow skin).
KEY LIME CAKE
3 tbsp butter
1 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs, separated
1/4 cup flour
2 tsp lime zest
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
11/2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
• Preheat oven to 350 F
• Grease and flour a 9-inch x 9-inch baking pan.
• Cream the butter with sugar until fluffy, add the egg yolks and blend until smooth.
• Stir in the lime zest, lime juice, and milk.
• Beat the egg whites until stiff with the salt and cream of tartar
• Fold the whites into the cake mixture.
• Pour mixture into the prepared baking pan; place in a shallow pan with about 2 inches of water and bake for about 1 hour.
• Cool and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.
Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.
User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.