Unannounced changes to the appearance of the $50 note sparked counterfeiting fears on social media yesterday. But the Central Bank says the changes were made to assist the visually-impaired and...
You are here
Two more shot dead in Laventille
The murder toll continued to rise, after two men were gunned down at Desperlie Crescent, Laventille, yesterday. Police said the deaths of Amol Peters, 24, and Randy Mason, 35, of Eighth Avenue, Malick, Barataria, were linked to the ongoing gang warfare over five guns stolen from a known criminal in Laventille. The latest killings pushed the number of people killed over the stolen guns to eight in two weeks in Laventille, and the murder toll to 236 for the year. Police said around 1.30 pm, residents heard several loud explosions and when they checked, they saw Peters and Mason slumped in a silver Nissan Almera. Residents called the police. Senior Supt John Martinez, ASP Sahadeo Singh, ASP Jayson Forde, acting Insp Kirt Griffith and a party of officers visited the scene. Police said believed that the gunman had been sitting in the back seat of the car when he shot the two men. They said, too, that the victims must have known the assailant. Both Peters and Mason were not known to residents in the area.
Their bodies were viewed by the district medical officer and then removed to the Forensic Science Centre. At the crime scene yesterday, residents said there were daily shootings in the community. “This happens all over,” a resident said. “Why we should be afraid when it happening even in town? “Is everyday you hearing gunshots here.” During the past three weeks, 11 other people were killed in east Port-of-Spain and Laventille because of gang violence and the theft of the five guns from Picton Road.
Among those killed were:
- Kylan Lewis, 18, of Green Acres, who was shot dead at Green Acres on Wednesday;
- William “Coxy” Cox, 53—shot dead at Sapodilla Trace, Laventille, on Tuesday;
- Lawrence Quashie, 48, of Mapp Lands, Laventille, a “PH” driver—shot dead by gunmen while at his home at La Pomp Trace, Laventille, on Monday morning;
- Elton Bryon, 31—shot dead at Straker Village last Thursday;
- Kadeem Martin, 17—shot dead at Pt Plaisance Park, Laventille, last Friday;
- Everton Martinez, 20, who was shot dead on George Street, Port-of-Spain, last Saturday;
- Anthony Douglas, 22, of Snake Valley, Laventille, who was gunned down at the corner of Henry Street and Independence Square last week;
- “PH” driver Kevon Fredericks, who was shot dead at the corner of Nelson Street and Independence Square north, last week; and
- Devon Rodrigues, of East Dry River, Port-of-Spain—killed at the corner of Duncan Street and Independence Square, also last week.
- On July 13, Sean Michael Cabazon, 38, of Unity Lane, Carapo, Arima, and Irvin Feliciano Stephens, 33, of St Vincent, were shot dead at 18th Street, Beetham Gardens. Reporting by Camille Clarke
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.
Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.