You are here
Show host seeks support from viewers
Host of TV6 Crime Watch programme Ian Alleyne has urged viewers to call the station and show their support following the suspension of the controversial talk show by Caribbean Communications Network Limited (CCN). In a news release issued yesterday, CCN’s chief executive officer Shida Bolai announced that in light of recent complaints made against the programme, a full review into all aspects of the show had been launched.
The release said CCN TV6 “valued their reputation for credibility, adherence to the highest standards of responsibility. “The station has agreed to suspend the programme until further notice and wished to thank the public and advertisers for their continued support.” However, in a post on his Facebook page yesterday, Alleyne blamed complaints of the Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (TATT) as well as “several members of the public” for the show’s suspension.
He said: “I hope they are now happy that the poor and oppressed will now be denied truth and justice. I will continue to stand for the oppressed and fight. “At 6 pm no crime watch...call TV6. Stand with me and let your voices be heard in support of Crime Watch,” he said. The condemnation of the show stemmed from a video clip which was aired on October 25 at 6 pm and 10.30 pm and on October 26 at 6 pm, showing a 13-year-old girl being sexually assaulted.
Alleyne later apologised for airing the video. CCN’s decision follows calls from various organisations and an investigation launched by Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Roger Gaspard into complaints by the TATT that the airing of the clip may have been a potential breach of the Sexual Offences Act. Chairman of the Coalition against Domestic Violence, Diana Mahabir-Wyatt, added her voice last week to a growing number of organisations, including the Rape Crisis Society, Media Association of T&T, all condemning the airing of the clip. In her statement Mahabir-Wyatt had called for action to be taken in what she called a “cruel travesty.”
The T&T Publishers and Broadcasters Association (TTPBA) also had issued a statement, saying it did not condone the airing of the phone-recorded video. The statement said the TTPBA did not support the “programming incident” and disclosed that discussions had been held with TV6. Citizens also had formed themselves into a Facebook Group called Get Rid of Crime Watch Now. A post on the group’s wall described the suspension of the show as a victory for decency and people power. The post said: “It was never personal and if the gentleman (Alleyne) was willing to adhere to the same laws that he highlights others for breaking, we would not be at this place.”
Yesterday, Alleyne visited his attorney Om Lalla for legal advice. In a brief telephone interview, Lalla described the suspension as disappointing.
KALIFA CLYNE and CAMILLE CLARKE
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff. Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Please help us keep out site clean from inappropriate comments by using the flag option.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments. Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.