You are here
Bailor withdraws surety for Akile Simon
A former media worker who stood bail for jailed reporter Akile Simon has told the court through attorney Vince Charles that she had been receiving death threats and wanted to withdraw from the arrangement. When Marcia Braveboy testified before Magistrate Anna Ryan in the Arima First Court on Thursday, she said Simon was no longer living with her and as a result, she could not ensure his continued appearance in court.
Braveboy had stood bail for Simon on May 29 in the amount of $250,000, which was approved by a Clerk of the Peace. During Simon's fourth appearance yesterday, Magistrate Anna Ryan granted the application and revoked Simon's bail because he no longer had a surety. Ryan later granted Simon fresh bail in the amount of $250,000 with a surety, to be approved by a Clerk of the Peace. Simon was also ordered to report to the Arima Police Station every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday between 7 am and 7 pm.
However, the prosecutor objected to new bail being granted on the basis that Simon was no longer living at the address stated on the bond and would now have to provide a new address to the court before he was granted bail a second time. The matter was adjourned to today, when the new bail application will be considered.
Charles put forward three reasons why Braveboy wished to withdraw, including a change of address; the fact that she did not possess any property or money as stated on the bail bond; and the the death threats made to her since she had taken Simon’s bail on May 29.
Simon, 28, a former Express reporter, is jointly charged with former TV6 cameraman Brendon Alexander, 27; taxi driver Randy Borris, 24, and security guard Marley Charles, 27, with offences arising out of a robbery at K&A Liquor Mart, Range Road, Five Rivers, Arouca, on May 20.
When the matter was recalled on Thursday, Simon was unrepresented as attorneys Dana Seetahal SC and John Heath, who had previously appeared on his behalf, were both absent. During his third court appearance on July 12, Simon learnt that Seetahal and Heath would be withdrawing their representation, which was expected to be done on Thursday. Holding for Keith Scotland, who represented Charles, was attorney Asha Watkins.
Simon had to be cautioned twice about speaking out of turn as the magistrate listened to an application by attorney Criston Wiliams, who represents the liquor mart owner, Anthony Levia. He requested a list of the serial numbers on the money seized by the police, which were sums of $185,807 and US$28,067. Williams said although a list had been submitted to the court detailing the denominations of both sets of money, he wanted to make sure nothing goes amiss.
Ryan later ordered that a list be compiled and produced on the next adjourned date of September 6. Simon is also before the Tunapuna court charged with possession of a .38 Beretta pistol and 13 rounds of .38 ammunition. In that matter, Simon's co-accused gardener Rodney Cave, 28, was charged with possession of five 12-gauge cartridges.
While Cave remains out on $50,000 bail, Simon was denied bail because he had similar matters pending before the Arima court. Simon and Cave were arrested on July 8, after police searched an apartment at the corner of Henry and Meade Streets, Tunapuna. Simon will reappear in the Tunapuna court on August 28.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff. Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Please help us keep out site clean from inappropriate comments by using the flag option.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments. Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.