You are here
When almond trees grew where taxis now jostle
During the tenure of Governor Sir Ralph Woodford (1815-28) much was done to beautify Port-of-Spain. In addition to laying out Brunswick now Woodford Square and the Botanic Gardens, he had Marine (now Independence) Square planted with shade trees. After he died in 1828, lands south of Marine Square were reclaimed and a portion of these formed a roadway between what was then the main landing place for goods and passengers near the lighthouse, still to be seen on Wrightson Road.
As it was an important thoroughfare, shops soon sprang up on either side of this roadway between Marine Square and King’s Wharf. Around 1840 it was planted with a central avenue of trees which resembled a species of almond with a couple of stately palms at the northern end. Aside from being aesthetically pleasing, the promenade became a place to see and be seen.
Lovers strolling arm in arm, nannies taking babies out for a stroll and families out for a Sunday walk used the strip which became known as Almond Walk. As early as 1857, it was called thus: “The promenade between King-street and Marine-square forms a fine walk, also lined with rows of trees; it is about a hundred feet wide, extending from the St Vincent or Queen's Wharf, to the Catholic cathedral, and running east and west in a line parallel with the sea.
This promenade is divided, nearly in the centre, by an open plot, which is used as a cart-stand, and from which the Almond walk, an alley planted with almond trees (Terminalia catalpa) leads to the South Quay, and the old jetty or King's Wharf.” Later, a tramway was initiated in Portof- Spain, and mule-drawn tramcars rattled all over the town, including right down the middle of Almond Walk.
In 1895, the mule trams were replaced by electric ones made by the Brill Company of Pennsylvania, which presented a problem, since the Brill cars were wider than the mule trucks used since 1883. Another description of Almond Walk in 1887 went: “The Almond Walk, really a misnomer, is planted with an avenue of trees (Terminalia catappa), the fruit of which somewhat resembles the almond.
These, though not affording much shade, give a pleasing appearance to what is at all times a dusty, not to say fusty, region.” In 1906, all the trees on Almond Walk were hewn down to make way for the trams and a part of the landscape changed forever. Such was the public affection for the promenade, however, that the place was called Almond Walk for a generation after its demise and only really became known by its present title, Broadway, in the 1930s.
Today the strip is a taxi stand where loudmouthed drivers, harried passengers and flashy cars jostle for space in a spot which was once cool and serene. Some attempt ought to be made at restoring this part of the city to its former verdant appearance, to tame the effect of the concrete jungle.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff. Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Please help us keep out site clean from inappropriate comments by using the flag option.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments. Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.