In the aftermath of the talks between the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition, what has emerged is that the Government is having consultations for a legislative fix to the problems...
You are here
Highway Re-Route sends letter to PM
Members of the Highway Re-Route Movement yesterday marched to the private Phillipine residence of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar where they delivered a letter to her security detail seeking an urgent meeting. Their action came after work resumed on the Mon Desir to Debe segment despite assurances by the Prime Minister and other officials that that segment had been put on hold pending a review.
Last month the members filed a constitutional motion to stop the construction of that section, which is still pending before the High Court. Their attorney Anil Maraj on Friday sent a letter to Attorney General Anand Ramlogan calling upon him “to protect the intergrity of the pending proceedings by giving the undertaking to cease all works pending the hearing and determination of our motion.” Ramlogan was given seven days to respond.
Yesterday, marching in single file holding the national flag, the male members of the group stood opposite the PM’s house while the women and the children stood at the front gate at SS Erin Road. They were greeted by two soldiers who refused to accept the letter. After waiting about 30 minutes, the PM’s security detail arrived and accepted the letter from Elizabeth Rambarose. Rambarose told reporters: “Basically we came to hand deliver a letter. Cpl Gafoor assured us that the Prime Minister will get the letter.”
She said they did not know whether the Prime Minister was there since her security detail said they were not at liberty to disclose that information. Rambarose said she was very disappointed in the Prime Minister. “We have been making numerous attempts to talk to her concerning this. I would say she don't care for us. She don’t care for the promises she made to us....I hope she has a conscience.”
She said they intend to take more action on the ground. “We do not want the Mon Desir to Debe segment to start. It is before the court, our members have no intention of backing down they have to listen to us. We are citizens, we put the Government there and they have to listen to us.”
In the letter to the Prime Minister, Rambarose reminded her that on March 16 she had assured them that work on that segment had been put on hold, and would be reviewed. However, she said workers of the OAS company have begun construction of what appeared to be the foundation for a bridge. She said they were also aware of plans to establish a lay-down yard at San Francique Recreation Ground off Murray Trace, and for earth and vegetation removal to begin shortly in the area.