You are here
$1.3b to upgrade roads—Roopnarine
Government will spend $1.3 billion to upgrade roads under the Programme for the Upgrade of Road Efficiency (Pure) in the new fiscal year. This was revealed by Stacy Roopnarine, the Minister in the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure. Speaking with the Sunday Guardian she said from May 2010 to present Pure undertook 926 projects at an estimated cost of $2.3 billion, utilising 223 contractors and paving over 500km of roads across the country.
She said in the new financial year the Pure programme will focus on road rehabilitation. Some of the works to be done include:
• Widening of the Caroni Savannah Road from Uriah Butler Highway to Caroni Bridge on the Southern Main Road (SMR), and from the SMR, Caroni Bridge to Washington Junction
• Walkovers would be built in the vicinity of Movie Towne and Wrightson Road at a cost of $10 million and $11 million respectively
• Widening of Saddle Road
• Barrackpore Access M2 Ring Road
• M1 Tasker Road, St Madeline to Princes Town
• La Paille Access, Cipero Road to Manahambre Road
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff. Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Please help us keep out site clean from inappropriate comments by using the flag option.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments. Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.