Close to three years after he was charged with assaulting his colleague at the Forensic Science Centre, St James, Dr Hughvon des Vignes was yesterday cleared of the charges.
You are here
Exhausted Kublalsingh calls for public support [VIDEO]
Highway Re-route Movement leader Dr Wayne Kublalsingh says his supporters have become exhausted and sick and he is transferring their “burden” to the public to join his fasting.
Kublalsingh issued a video in which he spoke from his home, yesterday.
In the video Dr. Kublalsingh, speaking in low but well modulated tones, looked slightly better than he was in previous days, though he still looked gaunt and frail.
His eyes, however, did not appear as deeply sunken in as they had at the end of last week.
Dr Kublalsingh who is seeking action on the Pt Fortin Highway construction concerning the Mon Desir segment, began his fast last week outside the Prime Minister’s St Clair office, spurning food and water.
He became emaciated during the week and at was taken via ambulance to the St Clair Medical Centre last Friday. His family said he had signalled that he should be given attention.
But Dr Kublalsingh said he plans to return to the Prime Minister’s office today and he wants people to join him as his supporters have become ill.
Kublalsingh said he had not taken food or water for over nine days and he had given very strong instructions to his family. He admitted the situation is traumatising his family as well as members of the Re-route movement and loyal supporters. He said intervention was necessary.
“...Because that’s the way I am and I’ve realised that the people have become exhausted,” he said.
He said supporters were traumatised.
“They can’t continue. They’re young women, my lieutenants Elizabeth Rambarose and Ferozia Ali, they cannot go on any more, they sick. The elderly people are sick. What do we do?
“So I’ve taken their burden on my small shoulders and transferred this to the people of T&T,” he added.
He said people have a responsibility to help.
“You have a responsibility to help your people. That’s why I want you to come out tomorrow outside the Prime Minister’s office again,” Dr Kublalsingh urged.
“Whatever she (the Prime Minister) says is immaterial, what is important is that you stand up,” he added.
On whether Dr Kublalsingh will have support in fasting from some of the groups and individuals who have visited and supported him last week, Movement for Social Justice (MSJ) leader David Abdulah told Trinidad Guardian that he will be at the site with Kublalsingh today and he will indeed be fasting.
Asked if other Roundtable members will also be fasting, Abdulah said: “I can’t speak for others, but other MSJ members will certainly be present tomorrow and I myself will be fasting.”
PNM PRO Faris Al-Rawi, said he could not say if PNM members who have been visiting Kublalsingh-including leader Keith Rowley- will take up Kublalsingh’s call to fast.
“We’ll have to get directions before I can confirm any position but the PNM has been lending broad organisational support and Dr Rowley has put forward an urgent call for the Prime Minister to take the issue seriously,” Al-Rawi said.
Former Prime Minister Basdeo Panday said Kublalsingh’s father called him yesterday to ask him if he (Panday) could come out today alongside Kublalsingh.
Panday said: “I told him I would certainly do so. I’m not sure if I’ll fast, but I’ll go. I’m going to give him moral support. The family is very perturbed. I think they know how strong willed Wayne is.”