You are here
Crossing bridge for Sea Lots (with CNC3 video)
National Security Minister Jack Warner yesterday promised to build a pedestrian crossing bridge between Pioneer Drive and Production Drive so Sea Lots residents will no longer have to cross the dangerous Beetham Highway. He made the promise after holding what he called cordial talks with Sea Lots residents in their community. Acting Police Commissioner (CoP) Stephen Williams also attended the meeting at the Sea Lots basketball court.
The residents had been clamouring for a walkover and even staged protests after the tragic February 24 accident which claimed the lives of three of their neighbours, mother Haydee Paul and her two young daughters. After the meeting, Warner told the media he was pleased the idea to construct the bridge was proposed by a Sea Lots resident, Kenroy “Big Man” Dopwell.
He said: “For me, that is one of the most brilliant solutions I have heard for a long time. We do not have to go to London and Europe to get a solution, we can come here and get it in Sea Lots.” Warner said he had already contacted CALCO Construction and was expecting a representative from the company to visit the area later yesterday to give him an estimate of the cost to build the bridge. He said he also planned to ask a private firm in the area to sponsor the bridge as a public service, so it could be finished in the shortest possible time.
He hopes the bridge will be constructed before school reopens after the Easter vacation. He said a top official of the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure also confirmed pedestrian crossing lights would be erected near Pioneer Drive as a short-term measure of ensuring the safety of pedestrians in Sea Lots.
Addressing the residents’ earlier request for a walkover to be built over the highway, Warner said it would take some time to work out the design and logistics, involving the T&T Electricity Commission (T&TEC) and Water and Sewerage Authority (WASA).
Warner also told residents the registration process for Unemployment Relief Programme (URP) jobs was scheduled for next week. He said 72 people would be employed in the programme and they would be divided into six teams of 12 people each. He said the tasks of these URP workers will be supervised by the army. Speaking to reporters after the meeting, CoP Williams said the investigation into the fatal accident was ongoing.
He said: “I am sourcing the updated position on that matter and when next you all meet me somewhere, or block me in my pathway, I will have the information.” On the subject of the Government’s proposal to precept soldiers, he said he did not wish to say much about the matter as it was subject to parliamentary debate.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff. Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Please help us keep out site clean from inappropriate comments by using the flag option.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments. Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.