Last update: 06-Dec-2013 8:12 am
Friday, December 06, 2013
Trinidad & Tobago Guardian Online
You are here
Bulldozer stopped again at Debe site
Less than an hour after appearing before a Siparia magistrate, Highway Re-route Movement leader Dr Wayne Kublalsingh was back at the Mon Desir worksite chasing workers who were building the interchange of the Solomon Hochoy Highway extension. Kublalsingh appeared before Siparia Magistrate Taramatie Ramdass yesterday charged with obstructing a police officer in his line of duty, resisting arrest and assaulting PC Prince on Wednesday.
Represented by former chairman of the Police Service Commission, attorney Nizam Mohammed, Kublalsingh pleaded not guilty to the charges. They were laid by Sgt Anderson Parriman. The matter was adjourned to December 4 and Kublalsingh was allowed to leave the court as the prosecution, led by Sgt Sheldon Ablacksingh, did not object to the $10,000 own bail initially granted by Justice of the Peace Mary Phillip.
The environmentalist was arrested and charged on Wednesday after members of the group tried to form a human barricade to stop work along the Debe to Mon Desir segment of the highway. After Kublalsingh left the court yesterday, he addressed dozens of his supporters who gathered earlier in prayer and support for him. The protesters left the court and were back at the OAS Construtora work site where bulldozers and excavators were grading the land.
Under heavy rain, lightning and thunder, they trekked about a half-mile into a forested area and eventually met up the OAS crew where they were once again able to stop an operator of a bulldozer. Police failed to stop the protesters this time as their vehicle became stuck in the mud. Speaking after the incident, Kublalsingh said: “We went to Mon Desir, we went to the camp and we were able to monitor activities.
“There were police officers at the OAS camp with security personnel but we had somebody monitoring where the proposed highway would turn into the Mon Desir area. “We were able to go to an area inside the forest and we were able to drive away a tractor. Police were there and as they came into the OAS path, they got stuck in the mud and could not move for about two hours.”
Maintaining that their protest was peaceful, Kublalsingh said they spoke to one of the operators who said he did not want to work on the disputed leg of the highway any more. “We spoke to the driver of the bulldozer and he left, then he came back and confessed to us that he did not want to work there anymore,” Kublalsingh claimed. Despite the new charges against him, Kublalsingh said it would not hinder the group’s efforts to stop the construction of the disputed leg of the highway.
An application for an injunction to stop work in the area is scheduled to be heard on October 18 at the Hall of Justice, Port-of-Spain.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff. Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Please help us keep out site clean from inappropriate comments by using the flag option.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments. Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.