Last update: 11-Dec-2013 6:16 am
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Trinidad & Tobago Guardian Online
You are here
Businessman tipped to be San Fernando mayor
If Kazim Hosein is appointed as Mayor of San Fernando he will be the second member of his family to hold this office. His father, the late Rakeeb Hosein, served as mayor of San Fernando between 1983-1987. Before that, he served as a councillor for the Les Efforts East/Cipero electoral district. Hosein, 52, also served as councillor for Les Efforts East/Cipero from 2003 to 2010 under the Manning administration when local government elections were not held for seven years. Questioned about the possibility of becoming the next mayor, Hosein said: “I have been hearing that too.”
A businessman and south regional co-ordinator for the People’s National Movement (PNM) Hosein said he has never sought office. “My God will tell me if I will get it. If it is for me, I will get it. If it is not then I will not,” he added. Having won eight of the nine electoral districts in San Fernando, the PNM will be able to chose the next mayor. The last PNM mayor was businessman Kenneth Ferguson. Following the PNM’s defeat in the 2010 local elections, Ferguson was succeeded by Marlene Coudray, now Minister of Local Government. The new mayor will succeed Congress of the People Dr Navi Muradali, who was appointed to the post in June 2012 after Coudray switched allegiance from the COP to become a deputy political leader of the United National Congress (UNC).
Former San Fernando West MP Junia Regrello, one of nine people submitted by the PNM for consideration as aldermen on the San Fernando City Corporation, is also a possible choice for mayor, according to sources. The exercise of allocating aldermen to the 14 regional corporations is being undertaken by the Elections and Boundaries Commission (EBC). Regrello said he was not interested in the position. He said: “San Fernando West has recommended a name for the mayor and it is not Junia Regrello and we are supporting that person 100 per cent. “I have other things to do which is important and it is my role at this time to support our new mayor to make San Fernando a better place and to give us the type of service we deserve as citizens. So far we have not been getting that.”
Regrello disputed claims by the People’s Partnership that the Independent Liberal Party caused the splitting of the votes, resulting in the PNM winning eight of the 14 corporations. He said reports that the ILP split the COP votes in San Fernando were just propaganda since their (ILP/UNC) combined votes were less than what the PNM polled. He added: “We beat them fair and square. In the last election we lost Springvale/Paradise by 41 votes. In 2013, we won that district by over 900 votes. “Also in 2010, we lost Marabella West by some 100 votes. This time around we won that seat by over 500 votes.” In the 2010 local elections, the PNM won two of the nine seats but on Monday, it regained its dominance. Only one of its candidates, Anderson Williams, 23, lost, ceding the Les Efforts West/La Romaine to Bishop Jankee Ragoonanan of the Congress of the People by 33 votes. This was the only seat the COP won in Monday’s elections.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff. Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Please help us keep out site clean from inappropriate comments by using the flag option.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments. Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.