Last update: 07-Dec-2013 1:06 am
Saturday, December 07, 2013
Trinidad & Tobago Guardian Online
You are here
Two charged with murder walk free
After spending three years in jail for murder, two men were released after being discharged by a Princes Town magistrate. Keston Harricharan, 25, and his neighbour Mahindra Moonsammy, 22, were accused of chopping to death Raymond Hopewell in Princes Town, in 2010. First Court Magistrate Debra Quintyne upheld a no-case submission by defence attorney Richard Valere yesterday. The magistrate ruled that the prosecution had failed to establish a prima facie case against them.
Hopewell, 46, was murdered on July 22, 2010, while liming near a house at St Julien Village, Princes Town. He was chopped several times, one of which almost severed his head. Harricharan and Moonsammy, also of St Julien Village, were arrested shortly after the killing. The State began preliminary inquiry proceedings late last year and led evidence from 17 witnesses. Representing the State was attorney Krishna Jaglal. Valere told the T&T Guardian justice had been served. He said his clients were relieved and happy but the first thing they were going to do when they get home was take a long and proper bath.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff. Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Please help us keep out site clean from inappropriate comments by using the flag option.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments. Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.