You are here

Gang leader slain

Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Cops brace for reprisals as...
Undertakers remove the body of Trevlon “Mustapha” Joseph from a Chinese restaurant on Coffee and Drayton Streets, San Fernando, on Monday night. Top right: Lydia Sergeant, left, Joseph’s mother is consoled by a friend at the scene . PHOTOs:TONY HOWELL

A 33-year-old gang leader from East Dry River, Port-of-Spain, was shot dead near a construction site in the capital on Monday. Around 9.35 pm, David “Jah David” Andrews, of Harpe Place, East Dry River, was standing outside the site at the corner of New and Charlotte Streets, Port-of-Spain. Police said two gunmen approached and shot him more than 20 times before running away. 


Police arrived within minutes and took Andrews to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital, across the street from where he was shot. He died of his injuries while undergoing emergency surgery. Homicide detectives said Andrews was the leader of the G Unit gang, which operates in East Dry River, with offshoots operating in other parts of the country, including Enterprise, Chaguanas. Members of the gang identify themselves with tattoos of the gang’s name and markings on their backs or abdomens, police said.  


Police sources said Andrews replaced former gang leader Kerwin “Fresh” Phillip, who was shot dead at the corner of Oxford and Henry Streets, Port-of-Spain, after going to a party on September 16, 2007. “In their heyday, they were one of the most feared gangs in east Port-of-Spain. After Fresh get kill, Jah David was trying to keep things quiet to avoid police attention,” a senior homicide detective said.  


Police sources said the strength of the infamous criminal syndicate diminished after Phillip’s death and the murders of several key members which followed. “I am surprised he lasted so long. He was always marked for death,” the detective said. Investigators said they were bracing for reprisal killings last night, as Andrews was a well-liked member of his community. His murder has been classified as gang-related. 


Meanwhile, in an unrelated case, the headless body of a man was discovered by police in Caroni yesterday. The body was found around 3 pm in a coconut plantation off the Caroni North Bank Road in Kelly Village by police who responded to an anonymous tip-off. The victim remained unidentified up to late yesterday evening.


User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff. Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Please help us keep out site clean from inappropriate comments by using the flag option.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments. Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy