You are here

Kublalsingh: Highway work caused floods

Published: 
Monday, December 30, 2013
Dr Wayne Kublalsingh, head of the Highway Reroute Movement, talks about major flooding that occurred along the Debe to Mon Desir segment of the highway to Point Fortin on Christmas Day at a media briefing yesterday. PHOTO: KRISTIAN DE SILVA

Highway Reroute Movement (HRM) leader Dr Wayne Kublalsingh yesterday warned the Government against ignoring the voice of the people. At a press conference held at the Oilfield Workers’ Trade Union San Fernando headquarters, Kublalsingh criticised the  Government and highway contractors Construtora OAS over Christmas Day floods in Debe and La Romaine. 

 

 

In a presentation, Kublalsingh showed pictures and videos of flooding along the SS Erin Road, the M1 Ring Road, Dumfries Road and the OAS campsite near the Debe Interchange, all of which are included in the highway plan. 

 

 

He said last week’s floods were a prelude to disasters to come if the Government continues with its construction of the disputed Debe to Mon Desir segment of the San Fernando to Point Fortin Highway. He said the flood occurred because of the contractor’s ignorance of the Oropouche Lagoon that stretches from Debe to Mon Desir. “They don’t know what they are doing.

 

 

“OAS does not have a clue about the about the hydrology of the Oropouche Lagoon otherwise their own work site would not have been flooded. How come when they have so much technology and such good practices and yet they don’t have a clue of what they are doing? If they venture between Debe and Mon Desir it will create excessive flooding,” Kublalsingh said. Kublalsingh said this was the latest in a series of injustices the Government had dealt citizens which could have criminal implications.

 

“If you put accumulatively all of the atrocities this Government has conducted against our people, we believe this constitutes a criminal action against us. This Parliament will fail, it will fall apart and it will stop some time in 2014 perhaps. I want to remind the ministers that sometimes you have tribunals and court matters where you are hauled before the courts to answer atrocities and instances of malfeasance.

 

“We are peaceful people, we do not want that to happen.  We do not want them to live after they leave Government, watching behind their shoulders but we are warning—deal justly with us please and listen to the advice of the experts. Listen to the advice of the scientists and listen to the advice of the Armstrong Report. We cannot stress it any further,” he said. Kublalsingh said although civil and criminal court matters continue next month, the HRM will not back down from its efforts to stop work on Debe to Mon Desir leg of the highway. 

 

However, he admitted that he was worried that by the time the court matter was finished, the Government would have completed a significant amount of work in the area.

Disclaimer

User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff. Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Please help us keep out site clean from inappropriate comments by using the flag option.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments. Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy