The elderly man whose body was recovered from the Gulf of Paria on Saturday by journalists and environmental activists investigating a massive fish kill has been identified as Satrohan Bunsee, 80...
You are here
Grande killing pushes murder toll to 41
Another murder has been recorded for the year, following the death of Earl Campo approximately six hours after he was shot near his home in Sangre Grande. Around 6.30 am yesterday, Campo, 37, of Horse Trace, Sangre Grande, was in his garden when he saw a man with a shotgun standing in front of him. Campo raised an alarm but the suspect fired, hitting him in the right leg. The gunman, who Campo knew well, ran away. His killing pushed the toll to 41. There were 35 murders for the corresponding period last year.
Campo was taken to the Sangre Grande District Hospital, where he died just after noon yesterday. The shooting was a dispute over the land that Campo was cultivating, police said. In an unrelated matter, a Diego Martin man is listed in a critical condition at Port-of-Spain General Hospital after being shot in the stomach yesterday. Police reports that said around 8.15 am, Joey Auguste, of Upper La Puerta, Diego Martin, was walking near his home when he was approached by a group of men. One of them shot him.
Auguste was later seen running along the Western Main Road by Insp Geoffrey Hospedales of the Carenage Police Station, who was on his way to work. He took Auguste to hospital, where up to yesterday evening he was listed in critical condition. Police said they were having difficulty finding the crime scene, as residents were reluctant to speak with them and they were unable to interview Auguste. Western Division police are continuing investigations.