You are here

Teen, taxi driver gunned down in separate incidents

Monday, February 3, 2014

The murder toll has reached 49 with the murders of a teenager and a one-armed taxi driver in Barataria and Diego Martin on Saturday night. In the first incident around 7.30 pm, Corvine Anthony, 18, of Centre Hill, Seventh Avenue, Malick, Barataria, was playing football on a field near his home when two gunmen got out a white Toyota Corolla which was parked nearby. 



The gunmen walked up to Anthony and his friends and suddenly opened fire, hitting him several times in his chest and head. His friends ran away. The gunmen then returned to their car and drove away. Anthony was taken to the nearby Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. A motive for Anthony’s murder has not been established. 


Almost three hours later, Ricardo Small, a 31-year-old PH taxi driver from Riverside Drive, La Puerta, Diego Martin, went to Factory Road to drop off two passengers. Small then drove to Hillview Drive to turn around but when he was making his way back he was stopped by two men who were walking along the road. The men drew firearms and shot Small several times in his chest. 


Police said Small lost conciousness and crashed into a dumpster at the side of the road. When police arrived on the scene Small was found dead behind the wheel of his car. Homicide detectives said Small lost his arm several years ago, after he was hit by a shotgun blast and had to amputate the limb. He was well known to police and his murder has been classified as gang-related. 


In another incident early Saturday, a 36-year-old man was shot dead and his friend seriously wounded in a shooting in a Couva nightclub. Police said around 4.10 am, Wayne Harewood, of McBean, Couva, and his friend Kevon Edwards, 27, of Perseverance, Couva, were liming at Deja Vu nightclub on the Old Southern Main Road, Couva, when two gunmen entered and began shooting at them. 


Harewood was hit several times and died on the scene, while Edwards was shot in the head and was taken to hospital for treatment. He remains warded in a critical condition at the San Fernando General Hospital. Police have not arrested any suspects in connection with this weekend’s murder victims, up to late yesterday. Autopsies will be performed at the Forensic Science Centre, St James, today.


User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy

User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.