A legal battle is brewing over the financial information provided to Parliament last week about payment made to attorneys by the Ministry of the Attorney General for legal and other technical/profe
You are here
Four in court for rape
Four men, three of whom were granted bail totalling $300,000, appeared in court yesterday on charges of rape and kidnapping, involving two girls aged 12 and 16. Christopher Bhagwandeen, 23, a construction worker, appeared before Deputy Chief Magistrate Mark Wellington in the San Fernando First Court charged with three offences of rape against a 12-year-old girl.
The sex attacks allegedly took place in 2010, 2011, and 2012 at Bonne Aventure Road, Gasparillo. He was charged by WPC Mohammed. Bhagwandeen’s attorney Jason Jackson said he had no previous convictions or pending matters. Prosecutor Sgt Cleyon Seedan said no tracing was done. The magistrate granted him $100,000 bail. Bhagwandeen was ordered to return to court on March 6.
Also appearing before Wellington were cousins Nicholas Baksh, 18, a student, of Gasparillo; Jesse Baksh, 19, a student from Penal; and their friend Keron Harripersad, 20, a painter from California. The cousins are charged with kidnapping a 16- year-old girl from Caratal Road, Claxton Bay on January 17.
The trio are also charged with raping her in Gasparillo. Defence attorney Jackson asked for bail. He said the cousins had no previous convictions or pending matters. Harripersad, however, has a pending matter for robbery. The magistrate granted the cousins $100,000 bail each, but remanded Harripersad into custody. Harripersad was told of his right to apply to a judge in chambers for bail. They too will reappear in court on March 6.