That it is morally wrong to marry off 12-and-14-year-old girls is irrefutable.
You are here
Convicted murderers ask Government to stay execution
Two convicted killers, who lost their final appeal before this country’s highest appellate court, are seeking an assurance from the State that no steps be taken to execute them before a petition to the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights is heard. Garvin “Beam” Sookram and Keron “Bellies” Lopez lost their appeals last week after the British Law Lords examined their cases. In response, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan said he had not personally seen the request.
Saying, however, that it would be given consideration in accordance with the law. “There is ample precedent and a well established procedure for dealing with such matters by which I am guided,” Ramlogan added. Sookram, a reputed gang leader from Sawmill Avenue, Barataria, and his partner, Lopez, were convicted on March 2, 2009 of the murders of Kerwin “Richie” Hinds, and Kerwin “Ox” Cyrus, on July 28, 2004, at Sawmill Avenue, Barataria.
The Appeal Court dismissed their appeal shortly afterwards, in April 2011. While they were on trial before Justice Joan Charles, it was the State’s case that on July 28, 2004, Hinds, Cyrus and their friend Sean Quamina went to Sawmill Avenue, Barataria, to meet Sookram and Lopez. Quamina stayed in the car, while the four others walked into a track off Granado Street.
Quamina, who was made a state witness, testified that shortly after the men walked into the track, Sookram and Lopez drew guns and began shooting at Hinds and Cyrus. Before being shot, he said, Hinds drew a gun and returned fire. Quamina said he ran away and hid in a house until police arrived. Quamina later left for Brooklyn, New York, and was murdered in his apartment on February 1, 2010. He was not in the witness protection programme as previously reported.