JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, August 29, 2025

Injunction to block SIS stories thrown out

by

20140321

Unit­ed Na­tion­al Con­gress fi­nancier and founder of Su­per In­dus­tri­al Ser­vices (SIS) Kr­ish­na Lal­la failed in a bid to stop fur­ther me­dia in­ves­ti­ga­tions in­to SIS and sev­er­al mul­ti-mil­lion-dol­lar con­tracts that com­pa­ny has re­ceived.This ac­tion stemmed from a Sun­day Guardian ar­ti­cle last week which la­belled Lal­la a "bil­lion-dol­lar man" af­ter SIS won the con­tro­ver­sial con­tract for the Beetham waste­water re­cy­cling fa­cil­i­ty.

Lal­la filed a broad in­junc­tion against the T&T Guardian on Wednes­day, seek­ing the High Court's pro­tec­tion against fur­ther prob­ing ar­ti­cles on SIS. Lal­la al­so sought to stop ref­er­ences that he was still tied to the com­pa­ny he found­ed, say­ing he had sold his shares in the com­pa­ny to his son and was re­tained as a "con­sul­tant."Se­nior Coun­sel Dou­glas Mendes and at­tor­ney Michael Quam­i­na ar­gued on be­half of the T&T Guardian that there was no need for an in­junc­tion, as the sto­ry con­tained no defam­a­to­ry state­ments.

Jus­tice Car­ol Gob­in, pre­sid­ing at the Hall of Jus­tice, in Port-of-Spain heard sub­mis­sions on Thurs­day and yes­ter­day found, af­ter ex­am­in­ing the in­for­ma­tion be­fore her, there was no jus­ti­fi­ca­tion for an in­junc­tion.She said Lal­la's lawyer, Neal Bis­nath, had failed to pro­vide any ev­i­dence of ma­li­cious in­tent or ma­li­cious false­hoods in the sto­ry. Gob­in al­so warned that the mat­ter was of a "del­i­cate na­ture" and ad­vised cau­tion in mat­ters that might in­fringe the free­dom of the press.

She al­so not­ed that Bis­nath's fail­ure to pro­vide "sig­nif­i­cant" doc­u­ments–ev­i­dence of the trans­fer of funds from Lal­la to his son to prove he is no longer the own­er–af­fect­ed the out­come. She said there was no proof that Lal­la kept an "arm's dis­tance" from the com­pa­ny's op­er­a­tions."At the end of the day, I am not per­suad­ed," she said.Gob­in's de­ter­mi­na­tion was made on the ba­sis of her own in­ter­pre­ta­tion of the Sun­day Guardian sto­ry, as well as sub­mis­sions and in­ter­pre­ta­tions from both sides.

Dur­ing Thurs­day's sub­mis­sions, when Mendes said the pa­per would no longer re­fer to Lal­la as the own­er of SIS, Bis­nath dis­missed that as a "red her­ring" of­fer by the pa­per but was quick­ly shut down by Gob­in."You have no ev­i­dence of that," she said.Lat­er in those same pro­ceed­ings, Bis­nath said once Lal­la was no longer re­ferred to as the own­er of SIS, he "would be hap­py" but Gob­in said the is­sue was not whether he was hap­py or not."It is what is in the law," she said.

Bis­nath cit­ed the ar­ti­cle's ref­er­ence to pub­lic state­ments on the Beetham project made by Op­po­si­tion leader Dr Kei­th Row­ley as "ma­li­cious" and done with an in­tent to hurt his client, but Gob­in did not agree. She too not­ed that the is­sue was one of pub­lic in­ter­est.Row­ley has claimed that the award of the bil­lion dol­lar con­tract to a con­sor­tium led by SIS was im­prop­er prompt­ing the En­er­gy Min­is­ter Kevin Ram­nar­ine to in­ves­ti­gate the mat­ter. Ram­nar­ine lat­er de­fend­ed the award of the con­tract say­ing it was above board.

Lal­la, in his af­fi­davit, con­test­ed that he had on­ly be­come a per­son of pub­lic in­ter­est af­ter the To­ba­go House of As­sem­bly elec­tion was an­nounced, that he had been linked to SIS in the pub­lic mind and had "grown weary of the con­stant at­tacks."He al­so said that it was the me­dia that "im­put­ed" that he was a gov­ern­ment fi­nancier and was "in­volved in un­eth­i­cal con­duct."


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored