You are here

Murder toll jumps to 132 as 3 more killed

Thursday, April 17, 2014

The country’s murder toll is now 132 after three men were shot dead between Tuesday night and yesterday. The victims were identified as Nkosi Harricharan and Julio Cumberbatch, both 24, and David Cumberbatch, 29. In the first incident around 6.15 pm on Tuesday, police said Harricharan was walking along Hubert Street, Belmont, when he was shot in the head by a gunman. Harricharan lived at Gonzales Hill, Gonzales. 


About three hours later, Cumberbatch, the son of a retired police officer, was shot dead while walking along Quarry Street, Diego Martin. Police said around 9.40 pm residents of Quarry Street, in an area called “Rat Hole”, heard loud gunshots. 



They found Cumberbatch and Nigel Ferguson, 20, suffering from gunshots wounds about the body. They were taken to the St James Medical Complex where Cumberbatch was pronounced dead on arrival. He was shot twice in the chest and once in the upper torso. Ferguson was treated and transferred to the Port-of-Spain General hospital with wounds to both legs. 



In the latest incident, David Cumberbatch was pronounced dead on arrival at the Eric Williams Medical Complex, Mt Hope, yesterday, after he was shot in the head after purchasing car parts at Bamboo Settlement #2, Valsayn. According to police reports, Cumberbatch, of Mercer Road, Diego Martin, and his friend Sean Thomas were in his blue Mitsubishi Lancer when they were shot at as they approached a fishing farm in the area. 


Police said the gunman was seen hiding in some nearby bushes as the car approached. Cumberbatch, they said, drove to the hospital and was pronounced dead on arrival. Thomas was warded in a serious condition with gunshot wounds to the upper body last night. Insp Mark Maharaj, Sgt Vetus Hernandez and officers of Homicide Bureau Region Two visited the area and conducted investigations.


In an unrelated incident, a Point Fortin man was yesterday was shot in the neck at point blank range but survived the gun attack. Up to late yesterday, police said the bullet was still lodged in 32-year-old Sherwin “Scrappy” Thompson’s neck. According to reports, Thompson was standing outside his Gun Hill, Cap-de-ville Road home shortly after 9 am, repairing a vehicle which was parked at the roadside, when he was shot.


He told police that he suddenly felt an object on his neck, followed by a burning sensation. By the time he turned around, his attackers was already running away. Neighbours contacted the Emergency Health Services and he was taken to the Point Fortin Area Hospital where he was treated and later transferred to the San Fernando General Hospital. Doctors said the bullet missed his vital arteries. He remains warded in a stable condition. 


Point Fortin police are continuing investigations.


User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy

User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.