“Trinidad and Tobago,” I patiently repeated for the second time.
“What?” She frustratingly retorted.
A 27-year-old man who claimed he was molested by a government official last year was arrested on six fraud charges on Monday night. Police sources said the man was arrested around 9 pm in Couva by Port-of-Spain Fraud Squad officers in connection with allegations that he defrauded six people of various sums of money. The man is expected to be placed on ID parades later today and it is expected that he may be charged with more fraud offences.
Yesterday, however, officers were adamant that the man, who claimed the government official made sexual advances when he visited his home in north Trinidad last year, was not arrested in relation to that allegation. Media reports yesterday suggested that the man was held for extortion arising out of the allegation. However, Fraud Squad detectives told the T&T Guardian their unit was not investigating any report in relation to the allegation made against the government official or any counter-allegations.
Senior Supt Johnny Abraham yesterday confirmed the man was arrested by Port-of-Spain officers for fraud inquiries. “He was arrested on inquiries where he (allegedly) defrauded money from a number of people,” Abraham said. It is expected that charges will be laid against the man later today. He will appear before a Port-of-Spain magistrate tomorrow.
The man reported to the police nearly two months ago he was molested by the government official. He alleged that the official grabbed his crotch and bit his nipples. The alleged incidents occurred in January and October last year.