Motorists will still be able to pay for fuel using debit and credit cards at the 24 United Independent Petroleum Marketing Company Limited (Unipet) service stations across the country.
You are here
No foreign help sought just yet
Acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams says while he intends to assemble the largest team in the country’s history to investigate the killing of Dana Seetahal, SC, he has not requested any regional or international assistance just yet. He made the comment yesterday as police continued their probe into the matter and hunt for suspect/s in the case.
Williams said the Police Service was conducting an open investigation and had not ruled out any possible link in the murder of Seetahal, who was gunned down early Sunday morning in Woodbrook. The killing of such a high-profile senior attorney and state prosecutor has sent shockwaves through the legal fraternity, with many state attorneys reportedly now living in fear that they could be possible targets, the T&T Guardian understands.
Asked whether the police were working on the theory that a hit was ordered from behind prison walls, Williams said all possible leads were being pursued. He reiterated that the largest team in T&T’s history had been assembled to investigate the murder and that members of this team were being pulled from outside of the Homicide Bureau as well. The lead investigator in the case, ACP Wayne Dick, was locked in talks with his main team members for most of yesterday the T&T Guardian understands.
Williams also denied reports that 15 spent shells were found at the crime scene but did not give another number. He also said he would not be commenting on the calibre of weapon used in the attack. “I am not going to investigate this matter in the media,” Williams said, adding that when there was an update the media would be informed. However, the autopsy revealed that Seetahal was shot five times at close range with a medium calibre handgun and not a high-powered rifle as was initially reported.
Yesterday, however, National Security Minister Gary Griffith said the United States stood ready to offer assistance if needed in the case. But Griffith too admitted that he did not think that was necessary at this stage of the case.
Shortly before midnight last Saturday, Seetahal left the Ma Pau casino car park on French Street, Port-of-Spain, on her way to her One Woodbrook Place apartment. She drove south down French Street before turning west onto Wrightson Road and later turning north onto Hamilton Holder Street, Woodbrook. Police said as she approached the Woodbrook Youth Facility, she was ambushed and shot five times, twice in the head, twice in the right forearm and once in the chest.
A $3.5 million reward is being offered for information which leads to the capture and prosecution of the individual/s involved in the murder. CrimeStoppers had initially offered $1 million before Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar upped it by $2.5 million, adding Government was also prepared to give Williams any assistance his men would need. Seetahal’s funeral takes place tomorrow at the Aramalaya Presbyterian Church, Tunapuna, from 5 pm.