You are here

Cops kill ex-murder suspect in Caroni

Saturday, May 10, 2014
Anthony “Tonic” Amogan who was shot dead by police yesterday morning

Relatives of 41-year-old Anthony “Tonic” Amogan will have to wait a bit longer for closure following his death at the hands of police. The relatives were yesterday told his autopsy would not be done until Monday after police failed to show up at the Forensic Science Centre, St James. The autopsy was postponed as a result of the police no-show.



After spending most of the day waiting for the report which would either confirm or dismiss their suspicion that he was murdered by the police and not lawfully shot dead, Amogan’s relatives had to return to their Caroni homes disppointed. 



Speaking with the media outside the Forensic Centre, the eldest of Amogan’s three children, Sasha Amogan, 20, said she never really knew her father, as he had been in prison since she was four and only released in 2012, owing to a botched decision by High Court Judge Malcolm Holdip which left Amogan freed of murder and his co-accused Michael Ramdawar still in prison.  


Another of Amogan’s daughters, Karishma, said her father was always concerned about his family and had tried to change his life when he was released. Relatives recalled Amogan spending his last night alive making promises to care for his family. 



Amogan, police reports say, was being sought for possession of arms and ammunition on Thursday. Members of the Central Division went to his house at La Paille Village, Caroni, to execute a warrant around 4 am. When they arrived they were reportedly met with gunfire and returned fire, hitting Amogan, who was taken to the Chaguanas Health Facility where he died. A 9 mm pistol and six rounds of ammunition were found at the house.


Escaped hangman
Amogan and Ramdawar were charged on March 12, 1997, for the murder of Ramcoomar Ramoutar, which occurred on February 22, 1997. They were committed to stand trial on July 16, 1999, and an indictment was filed on September 19, 2000. Their first trial began on October 8, 2001, but was aborted on October 9, 2001. The second trial was held between March 18 and May 29, 2003, and Amogan and Ramdawar were found guilty and were sentence by Justice Prakash Moosai to suffer death by hanging. 


The notes of evidence became available on April 27, 2006, and the men successfully appealed the conviction and sentence. A retrial was ordered on December 15, 2006, and the matter was placed on a cause list hearing for February 12, 2007. Amogan was freed after Holdip ruled he should because of the inordinate delay in beginning the retrial.


User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy

User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.