You are here

Man killed for refusing culture of violence

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

For failing to join a gang and having the audacity to assist a bleeding man who had earlier been shot, 30-year-old Andre Wallace was shot dead on Sunday night according to police, who say his act of kindness two weeks ago may have triggered his killing. Wallace, who lived at Trou Macaque, Laventille, refused to involve himself in any illegal activity, relatives said yesterday at the Forensic Science Centre, St James. The relatives wished to remain anonymous for fear his killers would retaliate. The first child and only son of his mother, Wallace was found slumped over the steering wheel of a white Nissan B-14 after the North Eastern Division Task Force was told gunshots had been heard on Laventille Road.


When police found Wallace, who had been shot several times, they took him to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital but he died while undergoing treatment. Relatives said men in the area told Wallace he would be killed by the time he was 20. A DJ who went by the sobriquet “DJ Nose”, he was also a pan player who had hoped to go overseas next year to play the national instrument. He also worked a “PH” taxi in the Trou Macaque area. In an unrelated matter, a taxi driver who was found tied up in an abandoned house yesterday died of a heart attack, while his car was found in the possession of four men who claimed to know him.

The autopsy report on 59-year-old Sundar Persad, of St Mary’s Village, Moruga, stated he died of cardiac arrest. The father of six was reported missing on Saturday by his youngest child, Nicholas Persad. Speaking with the media at the Forensic Science Centre, St James, Persad said his father, who worked the Princes Town to Moruga route, left for work on Friday and never returned. He said on Saturday, after returning from work, he notified his brother and their aunt before visiting the Princes Town Health Centre and the Moruga Police Station where he filed a missing person report. 

His father’s car, a Nissan Almera, was found on Sunday in Marabella with four men inside. They were arrested and yesterday the family was told Persad had been found tied up in the house at St Julien, Princes Town. Homicide detectives are also investigating the murder of 27-year-old Ranjeev Henry of North Eastern Settlement, Sangre Grande. Henry and his neighbour Curty Martinez, 32, were playing a game of cards around 9 pm on Saturday when a man came up and started shooting. Henry died at the scene while Martinez, who was shot in the abdomen, is warded at Sangre Grande Hospital in a stable condition. The murder toll is now 173. For the same period last year it was 146.


User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy

User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.