Acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams, whose post was recently described by Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley as a “ten days” given the number of times the top cop has been mandated to act,...
You are here
Cops end Sharma probe
The investigation into assault allegations against fired minister of tourism Chandresh Sharma has been completed and the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) is expected to receive the police file by the end of this week. Public information officer of the Police Service, Insp Wayne Mystar, announced that yesterday at the weekly police press briefing at Police Administration Building, Port-of-Spain.
Sharma resigned as minister on March 31. His former girlfriend, Sacha Singh, managing director of AMS Biotech Security Concept and AmSure T&T Ltd, reported to the police he had physically abused her during an altercation on March 12 at Grand Bazaar, Valsayn. Mystar said Sharma had been interviewed three weeks ago.
In a separate investigation into former minister of the people Dr Glenn Ramadharsingh, Mystar said Ramadharsingh also was interviewed by police and the file was almost completed. In March Patricia Singh alleged she was made to perform sex acts on Ramadharsingh at his office in Port-of-Spain in February 2011 for a Housing Development Corporation (HDC) house. Ramadharsingh was fired on March 25 after a flight attendant accused him of abusive behaviour on March 16 on a domestic flight.
Mystar said: “I know for a fact that the file has been perused by senior police officers and the procedure is that the investigator will submit it to his seniors who will peruse the file and determine if any further investigation is needed and then to the DPP. It is at the stage where the file is in the possession of the senior officers.” He added that the investigations into claims of sexual misconduct against Dr Delmon Baker, the Tobago Development Minister, had begun with the accuser being interviewed.
The alleged victim reported to police last month he had been sexually assaulted twice by Baker at his home. “That report would be dealt with. I know that person (the alleged victim) would have been facing fraud charges and I know that person would have been handed over to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) front office and they would have had a conversation with him as it relates to his claims in this matter. I can’t say whether Mr Baker has been interviewed,” Mystar said.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.
Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.