On day one of the FashionTT Business of Fashion Workshop, session facilitator Dr Suzanne Burke told participants that entrepreneurship means “taking resources from a place where there is nothing...
You are here
DPP’s decision on Sharma’s assault charges this week
Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Roger Gaspard, is expected to make a decision on the alleged assault charges brought against former Tourism minister Chandresh Sharma before the end of the week. The charges stem from an incident which transpired between Sharma and then girlfriend Sasha Singh in the carpark of the Grand Bazaar shopping mall on March 12, where Singh claimed to be pushed and shoved about by the then minister.
Gaspard received the file on the police investigation last week. Back in March, Singh, the managing director of AMS Biotech Security Concept and AmSure T&T Ltd, met with officers of the St Joseph Police Station to disclose details of the alleged assault. This investigation was “fast-tracked” by police because it was considered to be high-profile.
The incident was first made public when it was reported in the Sunshine weekly newspaper published by Sharma’s former colleague turned political leader of the Independent Liberal Party (ILP), Jack Warner. Sharma resigned as minister on March 31, days after the report was made to the police and ventilated in the public domain. Sharma was interviewed by the police over a month ago regarding Singh’s allegations.
It had been reported earlier that ASP Joanne Archie, public information officer of the T&T Police Service, said that “a charge or charges” might be laid after the investigation was completed. The DPP’s determination comes two months after the report.