Police say they will be increasing their patrols along the Lady Chancellor Hill, St Clair, after a woman was shot while walking along the popular training spot.
You are here
Autopsy: Baby choked on vomit
The autopsy yesterday on three-day-old baby Akilon Glasgow, who was found dead in his bed on Monday afternoon, showed he choked to death on his own vomit. The baby’s father Akil Glasgow, of Techier Village, Point Fortin, says the autopsy has left him with more questions than answers about his baby’s death. The grieving father, in an interview with the T&T Guardian yesterday, maintained his call for Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan to launch an investigation.
The funeral for baby Akilon will be held today at 10 am at Elite Funeral Home, Newlands, Point Fortin. Glasgow demanded answers as to why his son was not examined at the Point Fortin Area Hospital on Monday morning when the child’s mother, Nikeisha Henry, took him there for treatment after she noticed his skin was turning yellow. The couple claimed a nurse assured them nothing was wrong and told them to change the milk they were feeding the baby. They said she gave them a tin of milk and sent them home. Henry fed the baby and put him to bed. Two hours later, at 2.15pm, the child was found unresponsive in his bed. They took him to the Point Fortin Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. He was born at the same hospital at 12.05 pm on Saturday.
Yesterday the autopsy, which was done at the San Fernando General Hospital mortuary, listed the cause of death as consolidation of the left lung due to asphyxia secondary to aspiration.
Glasgow said: “The doctor said the baby vomit and he swallow his own vomit and choke on it. But when we took the baby to Point Fortin the doctor never mentioned any vomit. “We would still like the probe because if it is asphyxia we would see some sign of the vomit. It did not have anything in the bassinet.” He said he was “burnt out having to relive my son’s death over and over again.” Glasgow said he would not call for a second autopsy. Henry, he said, was not taking the baby’s death well. “She not feeling well. She not eating, she not sleeping.” Glasgow said he and Henry would be going for grief counselling on Monday.