You are here
Two more murders push toll to 226
Two men, an avid football fan and a known criminal, are now dead after being shot near their homes yesterday in separate incidents, pushing the toll to 226 for the year. The murder toll for the same period last year was 195. In the first incident, Keston Redhead, a strong supporter of the Netherlands football team, was shot outside his Malabar home, in a killing police believe was linked to his testimony in the murder of his grandfather Elborne Roberts.
Redhead, 26, of Koon Koon Street, Malabar, Arima, died while being treated at the Arima Health Facility after he was taken there by Northern Division police who responded to the trouble call. Police said they received a call around 5.40 am and when they arrived they found Redhead bleeding at the side of the road. Investigators said Redhead was due to testify on July 18 against two men charged with the murder of Roberts, who was shot dead during a botched robbery in 2010.
Roberts was killed after struggling with one of the two men who entered his Malabar Road home around 3.30 am. After murdering the father of eight, his killers escaped with only $300 and two cellphones, relatives said. In the second case, Jodel “Rank” Charles was killed outside Agard Discount Supermarket, Pashley Street, Laventille, around 1.10 pm.
His relatives, two women and a man, who did not want to be identified, spoke at the scene of the murder, saying Charles was released from prison last November 16. They said he liked “fame” and would follow bad company but although he was involved in illegal activity they were still heartbroken by his murder.
On June 20 around 10.20 am, Keston Barrow, 24, and Aton Mc Connie, 22, both of Buller Trace, Laventille, also were shot dead outside Agard’s Discount Supermarket after a red Mitsubishi Lancer with two occupants pulled alongside them. The men were taken to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital where they both died during emergency treatment.