You are here

Army close to wrapping up GML probe

Published: 
Friday, August 1, 2014

The Regiment says it is near to completing its investigation into why soldiers were parked outside Guardian building and questioning of a security guard about a car which was parked at the Queen Street carpark on July 14. In a telephone interview with the T&T Guardian yesterday public affairs officer of the Regiment, Capt Stefan Alfonso said the investigation was wrapping up and should be completed by next week. Alfonso also noted there have been two official reports of abuse by soldiers in the Laventille area and that investigation should also be completed by next week.

On July 14, soldiers arrived at the compound of GML, St Vincent Street, moments after Dillon “Bandy” Skeete arrived for an interview. They had been searching for Skeete following the murder of Lance Corporal Kayode Thomas on June 29. During the interview with Skeete, someone called in a bomb threat and the building was  evacuated. Following the threat a senior regiment officer telephoned an editor at the T&T Guardian stating that a man wanted by them was housed at the building. In a media release, one day later the Regiment denied any involvement in the bomb threat, hunting Skeete or any other activities that pertained to illegal operations.

The release confirmed soldiers were on GML’s compound but their version contradicted the eyewitnesses account. GML managing director Lisa Agard said then that the company was giving its full co-operation to the regiment but had also made an official complaint to the police. She added that regiment investigators told her as a consequence of what they read came to investigate. Two employees who interacted with the soldiers were interviewed. During the weekly press briefing on Wednesday public information officer Insp Wayne Mystar said police were continuing their investigation into the claims of the bomb threat. He could not say though if police had traced the telephone number of the person who called in the threat.