The disclosure in the last Sunday Express that Italian alcohol company Gruppo Campari paid a “success fee (of US$2.5 million) for advisory services provided during the tender offer for Lascelles...
You are here
Teen shot dead in Malabar; Double murder rocks Cunupia
A 15-year-old boy was shot dead yesterday at Malabar three days before he was set to resume school at El Dorado Secondary. Police said a gunman came out of a waiting car at Tirite Lane, Malabar and opened fire at a group, including Hoshin Castillo, 15, Rawle Davis, 30 and Justin Samuels, 17.
Police said the shooting took place at Davis’ home around 1.45 pm. Davis, who police said had been shot at before, was hit in the right thigh and Samuels in the left arm. Castillo, of Salvia Crescent, Malabar died on the scene. The gunman escaped in the waiting car. About four hours earlier, in an unrelated double homicide, a Chaguanas man whose life was repeatedly threatened and another man on his first day on the job were shot dead at a house they were building.
Police officers of Cunupia Police Station, including Insp Terrence Williams and Sgt Jitindra Toolaram, acting on a tip-off went to Endeavour Road, Chaguanas around 9.30 am. They found the bodies of two men. One was identified only as “Shortman” and “Pimento Man”, who homicide detectives believe is Satrohan Siewdath, of Barrackpore, on the ground outside the house. Inside the house in one of the bedrooms they found Mitchum Maraj, 35, with gunshot wounds to the head.
Speaking to the media at his Endeavour Road home Maraj’s father, Pooran Maraj said he had only yesterday morning given Siewdath a job to work on the house.
Maraj said his son had moved out of the area several months ago to Cunupia and returned to spend time with his parents for the July/August vacation. Maraj said he and his son had “some bad times and some good times”. He added that men from the area had threatened to kill his son and even posted the threat on social network site Facebook, as they posed with guns. After police were informed of the threat the men’s home were searched, however, nothing illegal was found.
Maraj said the men were afraid of his son because he would not stand for their nonsense and if they ever fought he would always win. He said that he could have lost two other sons yesterday but thankfully they both left early for work.
A short distance from his home, Maraj’s daughter-in-law, Rasheeda Ali, spoke about her husband being the best man and father he could be to his four children. With the three murders yesterday the murder toll is now 285 for the year while the same period last year there were 256 murders.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.
Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.