You are here

Police probe abuse claims on Facebook

Monday, February 15, 2016
The woman shows some of the bruises she sustained after allegedly being beaten by a male relative.

A 28-year-old mother of two who said she endured severe domestic abuse for more than a decade said she reached the point of frustration when she made a public appeal for help via social media over the weekend.

Early on Saturday morning, the woman posted photographs on Facebook showing showing bruises, cuts and the blood shot eye she allegedly sustained last week at the hands of a close male relative. The young woman, mother of a seven-year-old girl and five-year-old son, said she had suffered domestic violence for the last 12 years following her marriage when she was just 16 years old.

She claimed the most recent incident occurred on Ash Wednesday when she was stabbed in the face and hands and had to be treated at the Chaguanas Health Facility. She said the following day she was beaten in front of a car dealership in Charlieville in full view of employees.

A neighbour of the young woman, who spoke anonymously, said he knew the woman endured frequent physical abuse.

“We often heard them fighting and she screaming but there is nothing we could do or could have done because we, for ourselves are afraid for our own lives,” the neighbour said.

In her Facebook post on Saturday, the woman said she tried to leave on several occasions but was always forced to remain because of threats.

Yesterday, in response to the post, there were numerous expressions of support for the woman and her children.

A relative of the woman told the T&T Guardian several reports were made to the police but nothing was done. However, in a statement yesterday, the T&T Police Service (TTPS) said the woman would receive counselling from its Victim and Witness Support Unit and the children would be referred to the Child Protection Unit and the Childrens' Authority.

The woman was expected to be interviewed yesterday by the Head of the Central Division to determine whether she planned to press charges against her alleged attacker.