PUNE— Robin Uthappa struck an inspired 87 and captain Gautam Gambhir added 62 as two-time champions Kolkata Knight Riders swept to a seven- wicket victory over Rising Pune Supergiant in the Indian...
You are here
First recorded case of Zika in country
The Ministry of Health confirms that T&T has reported its first laboratory case of Zika.
This case is a 61-year-old woman.
The case was confirmed today, at 2.30 pm by the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA).
The blood sample which was tested was tested by CARPHA was sent by a private laboratory.
The patient recently travelled to New Zealand in January 2016. However, as New Zealand is a Zika-free country, the indications are that this is a locally acquired case.
The Ministry is in the process of acquiring more details about the confirmed case. This will be done primarily to determine the patient’s well-being, as well as to ensure that the Ministry of Health continues its eradication efforts in the area.
While the Government works at managing this threat, the public is also reminded to take personal responsibility in dealing with mosquito borne diseases.
Citizens are advised to:
1. Dispose of all unwanted containers/items that may collect water.
2. Cover water barrels, drums or buckets with a tight fitted lid.
3. Keep your drains and guttering clean.
4. Empty and scrub the sides of water vases.
5. Wear clothing to cover your arms and legs.
6. Apply insect repellent to exposed skin.
7. Sleep under a mosquito bed-net.