You are here

NGC contractor stabbed to death

Sunday, February 21, 2016
Home invasion, robbery suspected as...
Angeline Ali...found dead in her home at Papourie Road, Barrackpore, on Friday.

A National Gas Company (NGC) sub-contractor was found dead at her home on Friday afternoon by her husband, stabbed several times about the body. 

Angeline Ali, 56, of Papourie Road, Barrackpore, was discovered by her husband Raffick Ali lying motionless on the living room floor and covered in blood around 3 pm on Friday.

Raffick, 55, told police he had last seen his wife alive around 11 am when he went out to run some errands.

Police suspect it may have been a home invasion and robbery as $20,000 was also reported missing from the house. 

Angeline had had a sub-contract with NGC to maintain the grass around NGC pipelines for the past ten years.

Her eldest son, Alan Ali, told the Sunday Guardian yesterday that he was working as a tow-truck driver on Friday when he got the news. 

“I got the news and I came straight home to find out what happened, but I wasn’t allowed to go nowhere near the crime scene,” Alan recounted.

Asked about the suggested motive of robbery for his mother’s murder, Alan said: “It seems it was something like that, but the police are still doing their investigations and haven’t disclosed any information yet.”

He described his mother as an angel and a super mom for the way she took care of him and his two younger siblings. He said her murder had left him angry and scared.

“She was a very loving, caring person. She had no enemies and to know that she was at her home and something like this happened? I am very scared and angry...I hope the police find the people responsible before I do.”

An autopsy is expected to be done at the Forensic Science Centre in St James tomorrow. 

In an unrelated incident, a 29-year-old man was gunned down in Belmont on Friday night.

Police said Jamal George was walking along Joseph Trace, Upper Belmont Valley Road, moments after dropping off his girlfriend around 9.40 pm, when a gunman approached him and shot him several times. He died on the spot.

Meanwhile, a Jonestown, Arima man was killed yesterday. 

According to police, around 1 am residents of King Street, Arima, heard a gunshot but no one investigated. At about 7.30 am, however, the body of Makel Maljobe, 30, was discovered in a pool of blood by a man walking along a footpath near the King Street cemetery. 

The police were notified and a team of officers from the Arima CID, Northern Division Task Force and Homicide Bureau responded. The man appeared to have been shot in the head. Crime scene investigators recovered one spent shell at the scene. 

Investigations into all three incidents are continuing.

The murder toll for the year stood at 71 up to last evening.


User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy

User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.