Kelvin Charles led the People’s National Movement to yet another victory in the Tobago House of Assembly (THA) last night.
You are here
$300,000 bail for Couva man in cheque fraud case
A Couva businessman accused of using dishonoured cheques to obtain more than $.4 million worth of items on Wednesday was granted $300,000 bail.
Amin Gustave, 42, a director at Amin’s Best Price, appeared before San Fernando Sixth Court magistrate Brambhanan Dubay.
He was charged by Cpl Richardson of the Fraud Squad with seven offences of obtaining items, including alcohol, allegedly by the use of dishonoured cheques.
The offences allegedly took place at two businesses located in Couva and Freeport during March, April and June last year.
It is alleged that three of the offences took place at the Couva business while the others occurred at the other businessplaces.
He was not called upon to plead to the charges.
In asking for bail, his attorney Rosario Sookdeo said Gustave was a businessman, the father of four children between the ages of five and 15, and lived alone.
He said Gustave had no previous convictions. In addition, he said there was no risk of his client absconding.
However, prosecutor Sgt Gordon Maharaj objected to bail, stating that while on bail for similar offences he allegedly committed those offences. Gustave has two matters pending.
However, the magistrate said he would grant him bail, adding that there was nothing to suggest he would interfere with witnesses.
Gustave was granted $150,000 bail with Clerk of the Peace’s approval for the Couva offences which were transferred to the Couva Court. He was also granted $150,000 bail for the Freeport matters which were transferred to the Chaguanas Magistrates Court.
His attorney requested that the approval be removed from the bail, but the magistrate disagreed, saying the allegations involved a large amount of cash and he has matters pending that involved dishonesty.
Gustave is expected to appear in the Couva Court on March 23, and in the Chaguanas Court on