You are here

Nurse in abusive relationship slain

Tuesday, November 29, 2016
Crystal Tobias-Busby

Tobago police are probing the circumstances surrounding the murder of 29-year-old Crystal Tobias-Busby, a registered nurse attached to the Scarborough General Hospital.

According to reports, Tobias-Busby had an altercation with an estranged male relative at her Plymouth home around 3 am, when he stabbed her several times about her body while her two-year-old child was next to her asleep. The child was unharmed.

Close family friend and neighbour Leiba Mathews-Julien said she heard someone shouting to get the ambulance and initially thought it was the victim’s grandmother who had died.

“I ran up the street and I saw her (Tobias-Busby) sitting on a chair in a corner of the porch just drenched in blood,” Mathews-Julien said, adding she had to call for help to apply pressure to the several stab wounds as best as possible until the ambulance arrived.

She was rushed to the Scarborough General Hospital where she died. Sources said she was stabbed in her chest, which punctured her lungs, abdomen and inner right thigh.

Tobias-Busby, a midwife attached to the Scarborough General Hospital, would have celebrated her sixth wedding anniversary today.

Close relatives and friends described her as a jovial, humble and loving individual. However, Mathews-Julien said the victim was in an abusive relationship, causing Tobias-Busby to seek a protection order.

“It was an abusive relationship. She has had numerous reports in the station,” she said.

The T&T Guardian understands that the 32-year-old male relative was arrested at his Canaan home a short while after the attack and is assisting investigators with their enquiries. In an unrelated incident, despite heightened police patrols in the Enterprise, Chaguanas area over the past week, Celestine Lewis was killed in the open.

According to police reports, Lewis was standing along Dass Trace around 4.40 pm when a gold-coloured car pulled alongside him. Two men came out and shot him, got backinto the and escaped.

Police officers were up to late last night at the scene carrying out investigations.


User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy

User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.