You are here

WPC’s body found at mouth of Caroni River

Wednesday, March 15, 2017
New suspect surrenders
Polive at the Caricom Jetty in Port-of-Spain to receive the recovered body of constable Nyasha Joseph after it was discovered yesterday

Another man being sought for questioning in connection with the murder of WPC Nyasha Joseph surrendered to police last night, mere hours after her body was found by fishermen at the mouth of the Caroni River.

The 24-year-old suspect’s lawyer, Richard Clarke-Williams, contacted police just after 7 pm and told them his client could be picked up at a location in Sea Lots. Officers arrived around 7.20 pm and arrested the suspect and took him to the Four Roads Police Station.

This after the suspect’s father had earlier been told by the police that he should convince his son to surrender, after pictures of the suspect began circulating on social media yesterday. Posts accompanying the photo also suggested police were seeking the man in connection with Joseph’s murder and officers later confirmed this information as accurate.

The suspect’s father told the T&T Guardian that he was advised to tell his son to get a lawyer, have a medical done and surrender to police at the Homicide Bureau at Riverside Plaza.

The father’s home was searched on Tuesday by officers and again yesterday morning.

The father said: “They looking for him because he own a boat and they search the boy phone (a former boyfriend of the police officer arrested last Friday) and get his number. They not saying he did it eh, is just he own a boat. He and the fella does gamble and thing together so they looking for him. When I see him, I can’t call him because he have no phone, I will tell him to surrender.”

Speaking with the media at the Port-of-Spain Ferry Terminal hours after Joseph’s body was found yesterday, ACP Wayne Dick denied the police gave Joseph’s disappearance any special treatment.

“The police service, from where I sit as head of crime, the police service is in awe first of all that another homicide has taken place. However, much to the dislike of some or contrary to the belief of some, this is no different to any ordinary citizen, not withstanding it is a police officer. So the police service treats with this in the like manner we will treat with the regular member of the public,” Dick said.

He added that while there were no positive identifying marks that the body was Joseph’s, the police service had received information her body had been dumped in the general area where it was found yesterday. He said based on what he saw of the body found, there were no easily identifiable marks of violence.

Since Joseph was regarded as missing last Thursday at 11 pm, her colleagues had lit candles at the Morvant Police Station, where she last worked, nightly. Last night, a planned candle light vigil turned into a wake for the officer ,who had been described by her superiors as hard-working with a lot of potential. Her cause of death will be determined today following an autopsy at the Forensic Science Centre.





User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy

User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.