You are here

How did our baby die?

Friday, September 1, 2017

Sherene and Elijah Allen did not get the chance to take the baby girl they named Hannah Abigail home from the hospital. Instead, the grieving Princes Town couple are planning her funeral and are calling for an investigation into the cause of the infant’s death hours after she was born at the San Fernando General Hospital (SFGH).

Sherene is still warded at the hospital and the family is seeking answers about her emergency caesarean-section as they were told there is an incision in her colon as a result of the surgery.

“To be honest, I put everything in the Lord’s hands. I don’t want this to happen to anyone else. I won’t like to see anyone go through what I went through, after carrying a baby for a full term,” she said.

Sherene, who was due to give birth on August 22, was given a letter to go to the SFGH. At the hospital she was examined and scheduled for induced labour on August 29. However, she began experiencing pains and discharge of blood and went to the hospital on August 28 where she was examined and told by a doctor it was “definitely no form of labour.”

“They did not even keep me for observation. Knowing that I am from New Grant, so far from San Fernando, she still sent me home and told me to come back 8 am on the 29th. When I went back home, nothing really happened until around 5.30 pm when I was taking a shower and I noticed something gushed out of me. It was clear and brown. I started to think that my water bag had broken because they did four kinds of examination on me.”

Sherene and Elijah once again went to the hospital. This time when another doctor examined her, he found chunks of solid, dark-brown pieces along with the discharge. The baby was found to be in distress and Sherene was prepped for an emergency caesarian section.

“I had no other choice. I needed to get this done because at 40 weeks I was told that I had a healthy baby. I was frightened a bit, but I was more concerned about the baby. I wanted to get it over with as it placed both of our lives at risk,” she said. Hannah was born around 10 pm that night and Sherene and Elijah were able to spend a few moments with their newborn daughter before she was taken away for treatment. Later, when another gynaecologist went to check on Sherene, they told her her baby was dead.

“I think she would have been alive if the doctor had kept me when I went to the hospital earlier in the day. I had this thing coming out and I would have been able to alert them so they could do other tests,” she said.

Contacted for comment, acting CEO of the South West Regional Health Authority Dr Albert Persaud said he would look into the matter.


User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy

User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.