On Valentine Day love was in the air and so was the buzz around Season 4 of Caribbean’sNext Top Model (CNTM) as it expands to include aspiring young hopefuls from The Bahamas.
You are here
2 families to be movedafter Rio Claro landslip
Two families affected by a major landslip in Agostini Village, Rio Claro, will have to be relocated before works can begin on the collapsed portion of the road.
In an interview, Mayaro MP Rushton Paray said he was in the process of organising the relocation for the affected families.
“I am in the process of applying for HDC emergency relocation for occupants of both houses in the landslip. I am hoping that the Minister of Works will act with some haste. The residents need to be relocated before the work starts,” Paray said.
However, one of the residents Philbert Rodney, an amputee, said he was sceptical about moving even though his house is on the verge of collapse.
“I am accustomed to standing in my gallery and stopping a car if I want to get into the town. I want some place that has easy access because it is difficult for me to get around,” Rodney said.
The other resident Eddison Best said his home was no longer habitable.
“The MP spoke with us yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon and he gave us the requirements to bring in. I dropped in the documents and I am waiting to relocate. The MP said he will get into contact with the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management to get a statement saying that the property is unsafe. I am willing to move for now,” he said.
The affected residents are expected to meet with an attorney on February 20 to discuss legal action.
Works Minister Rohan Sinanan said in Parliament last week that a contract will be awarded by next month to address the landslip which has already swallowed part of the Naparima/Mayaro Road, at Agostini Village, Rio Claro.
Since 2014, the residents have been begging to get assistance to fix the broken landslip. In late January, a loaded fuel tanker got stuck in the precipice prompting a response after a video of this went viral.
Tenders were later sent out by the Works Ministry to fix the collapsed road. However, no mention was made of repairing residents’ homes.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.
Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.
User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.